Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Missing out?

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 10:37 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 538 Total Views

I home school my 15 year old daughter and she has really enjoyed it so far but she's had a few hesitations about it in the past few weeks. All her friends her age are starting high school and are so excited. They are talking about going to homecoming dances and football games and boys. She feels really left out!  I had a long talk with her and ask if she was feeling like she wanted to go back to public school and she said no but she is having a hard time with feeling left out. She knows she can still go to the football games she said but she feels funny because they are all taking about things that happened in school.  How can I help her get through this?

by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Kiter
by Helping Hands on Aug. 24, 2010 at 1:36 PM

it's hard to feel left out and switching from PS to homeschool at that age is a lot harder on the child than switching at 1st grade.

A lot of homeschool co-ops/support groups have dances and graduation parties and stuff. look around for local homeschooling groups and make sure your daughter invites her friends over often to maintain her frienjdships.

get her involved in something like 4-H maybe.

**Kimberly**   unschooling our 3 boys (13,15,16)

rock n roll

Homeschooling02
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Find something she really likes doing and get her in that.

EX: Cheerleading- some places other the school has this for girls. Check in Gym classes to find out.

Tae-Know-Do- This is something else thats good for all ages.

Baseball,Basketball,Soccer, Ect. Other places has this for kids as well. Not just schools.

Check into your local homeschool group for other ideas.

Good Luck, And both of you hang in there. There's more to homeschool then teaching & learning. It also can be fun if you let it.

MoonNStars
by on Mar. 27, 2011 at 4:06 AM

I found a great group locally that does all the high school activities through the group.  Dances are at the church, we do graduation ceremonies, picnics, and lots of other stuff.  Plus my daughter is in lots of activies that keep her busy.  She tells her public school friends that this is better than it ever was when she was with them.

FlyHippie
by Welcome Squad on Jun. 11, 2011 at 7:18 PM

um...I just joined this, but I'm gonna jump in and answer.

I have a 13 year old in the same position, only it's because he plays sports so all of his closer friends are in public school. (he went from 1-4 grade, too)...anyhow:

He DOES go to the school dances! Call and ask the principal if your kiddo can be invited by a friend. Facebook is a great source for him for staying "up" on what's going on in school. Also, he sees these kids in sports still.

Maybe that will help?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)