Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just Started...

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2010 at 11:28 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 349 Total Views

I have two higher grade students - 8th and 9th graders.

My children had their last day at public school on Oct. 29th and we "officially" became a homeschooling family on Nov. 2nd.  On that day we went to the "Teacher Store" and I bought a bunch of workbooks that were related to the subjects they had been studying in school.

So far things are going well.  I have a few concerns, of course, but I think we can work through it all.

I was wondering...

In Michigan we have to include reading, spelling, math, science, history, civics, literature, writing, and English grammar.  I bought them both books related to their grades for Algebra, grammar, science, and history.

How much time do you make your children "focus on schoolwork"? Michigan is a no-ask, no-tell state but I still would like to record what we're studying and when.  Any suggestions on that? 

What websites do you use to fill in all the blanks?  Looking to see how we can make sure we cover all that we have to. 

Thanks so much!!

Proud mother of four great kids!
~Jeannette

by on Nov. 4, 2010 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
bubblesnnc
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 5, 2010 at 6:42 PM

my children are only in elementary grades but we use a notebook to keep all our papers that we may do for the week (i usually clean the notebooks out at the end of the 6 weeks and just file the papers in their drawer on the file cabinet).  they like looking back through the notebook and telling each other about what they have learned.  right now, we're usually "in school" about 2 hours a day but it seems like everywhere we go something will be turned into a lesson :)  as far as websites, i dont believe i would be much help since everything i use is pretty much k through 6 right now.  you can always google anything you feel that you need. 

there are also lapbooks to keep track of what has been learned.  i dont know much about them because i felt that i would be doing the majority of the work.  my 6yo's notebook is divided into subjects but my 5yo and 3yo just have everything mixed together.  it is interesting to watch them look at the notebooks later.  it lets me know that we seem to be "on track" and they are retaining something (even though sometimes i get the "hundred yard stare" when we are actually going over the material...lol) 

this is just what i do for us.  there are so many options out there you can experiment and try different things to find what works best for your family

MoonNStars
by on Mar. 27, 2011 at 4:01 AM

My children are 13 & 16 and work at the same level.  I buy most of my curriculum based on The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer.  We use Netflix and other educational channels to give them something more.  We do projects at the library and do field trips to the marina, museums, and festivals.  My kids are currently studying Marine Biology, Algebra I, World History, Government, English, Great Books, American Sign Language, and Domestic Arts.  My daughter spins her own yarn and my son weaves.  We have a local knitting group we attend (since I knit) where they can practice their craft as well and get lessons from their mentors.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)