Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NEED Advice... Considering Homeschooling my 10th grader.... Too late?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:15 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 317 Total Views

I really could use some advice... My daughter has always been a part of the system... Not always public schooling though. She left public schooling in the 5th grade and started at the Montessori. It was a little hard for her at first, but she immediately excelled beyond her peers in the public school. Then in the 8th grade (after doing 10th grade level reading and math) she was put back into the public schooling. She was forced to do work that she had already done years earlier. Now that she is in the 10th grade she is finally reaching the level she was at back in the 7th grade. She is bored at school. This has caused her to get into so much trouble. I am being called to the school almost daily. She isn't a bad girl but I think that she just doesn't like being where she held back from doing anything interesting. I want to homeschool her, but I don't know if this is something that she will take to. She has never actually been schooled at home. And I am afraid that she won't have the motivation to do it. I am afraid that I will not be able to instruct her at the level she needs to be at. I am afraid that by pulling her out of the school, she will actually fall behind and lose out on the curriculum. Do you have any suggestions...? I am really scared that I am doing the wrong thing... But I am also even more scared by leaving her in the system. I don't even know where to start. I see SO many sites and games for lower grades and wish I had started her then, but I'm afraid that I waited too long. Is there anything that you can suggest...? Please help.

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:04 PM

It's never too late IMO. The thing is, it's not a race, it's a journey.

mom424
by Welcome Squad on Dec. 10, 2010 at 6:35 AM
Find out the laws of your state first off. Try hslds.org. If she is advanced then abeka might be a good one for her they are always ahead by atleast one grade also you might try bju. They are both Christian based I am not sure how you feel about that tho sorry. It is never too late to HS look at it this way if you are called to the school on a daily basis and she is so bored with the stuff she has already done then you will be doing you both some good. Abeka has schooling that you send in and they keep the records for you for college after they finish school so would be to where she will have to do it or she could fail. Also if you wanted to while she is doing that you could also check about enrolling her in an online college course or two and she can get some credits for college out of the way and such. Hope this helps and always remember she is your daughter and together anything is possible. Oh btw too they have teachers editions incase you need to brush up also (abeka has where she could call if she needs help too)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KarenJim
by Testing the waters on Dec. 10, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Thank you both for your thought and insights. I think that this is something that I have to do. She isn't doing any good where she's at. And I just hope that I can meet the demands needed for her growing mind. I do think that I will try those schools that you mentioned. That sounds like something that could really help. I'm glad that this site is here and I wouldn't be surprised if I turn to it from time to time to get advice because this "journey" is the scariest one that I've taken yet... I just hope that it is as rewarding for both of us as I imagine it to be. Thanks for the pep talks...

Fioni
by Helping Hands on Dec. 10, 2010 at 9:24 AM

It is never too late. Look around and see if there are any free cyber charter schools in your state, they will provide the curriculum and the teachers and she can do the work at home while you supervise. Or, you can go to the Rainbow Resource website http://www.rainbowresource.com/ and order their 1300 page catalog of curriculum and educational resources and go through this with your daughter and ask her what she would like to learn. Or you can just google curriculum for high school and have her look over the results to see what looks interesting.

You also should check out the homeschool laws in your state to find out what if any requirements there are and what the rules are about graduating and diplomas.

KarenJim
by Testing the waters on Dec. 13, 2010 at 4:21 PM

I am looking into the Michigan Connections Academy... But they can't get her in until January 26th. I also am looking into the Michigan Virtual Charter Academy... But they can't get her into until February 1st. I just can't have her in the public school until then. I need to do something for her. I want to start homeschooling her while she waits to get into one of these schools. It's something I have always wanted to do with her. But I never knew if I actually could and now I fear that she's gone beyond what I could teach her. I want to make school interesting again. And I would be afraid that what I am trying to teach her would either be incorrect or boring for her as well....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)