Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's your favorite book on homeschooling

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 10:39 AM
  • 17 Replies
  • 889 Total Views

As a newbie, I am trying to find books about homeschooling to help me along in my journey. What's been your favorite? I have requested "Dumbing us down" by John Taylor Gatto and the "Unschooling handbook" by Mary Griffith

I think we will be a more eclectic mix of curriculum, but I am trying to read as much as i can.

~Jen AKA Bookmommy
Mommy to Peanut  8 years old and a 4 year old Aussie~Lucy

Does this sound like you? Maybe you are an INFJ..join INFJ Mamas!
INFJs are gentle, caring, complex and highly intuitive individuals.Artistic and creative, they live in a world of hidden meanings and possibilities. Only one percent of the population has an INFJ Personality Type, making it the most rare of all the types

by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Feb. 6, 2011 at 2:47 PM

The Teenage Liberation Handbook.

jen2150
by Helping Hands on Feb. 6, 2011 at 4:08 PM

My favorite by far is the well adjusted child.  Another book which is not quite a homeschooling book but very helpful was The learning coach approach.  I got so many good ideas from that book.  I also really enjoyed the well trained mind.  Good luck

MoonNStars
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 8:28 PM
The Well Trained Mind
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pyratwife
by on Feb. 6, 2011 at 11:49 PM

A Charlotte Mason Education by Catherine Levinson. http://www.charlottemasoneducation.com/

chucks_mama
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 7, 2011 at 8:30 AM

Quoting MoonNStars:

The Well Trained Mind

lifeolearning
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 7, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum shows you a good picture of your teaching style, your child's learning style, explains the various methods such as Classical, Traditional, Unschooling, etc, and then gives a good chart of where various curriculums fall within these topics. Excellent resourse. I found it at my local library so I didn't have to spend the $ to buy it but I'll be signing it out again from time to time when my next child gets to a more formal home education level as a refresher.

buzymom93
by Korah on Feb. 7, 2011 at 11:01 AM

My two favorite books are:

1. Homeschooling: A Patchwork of Days.. Share a day with 30 homescholling families

2. Help for the Harried Homeschooler.. A practical guide to balancing your child's education with the rest of your life

smorgan7204
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 7, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Thanks for the recommendations!  I just put 2  of them on hold at the library!

RondaLevine
by on Feb. 7, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Quoting MoonNStars:

The Well Trained Mind

LaVonneLong
by Testing the waters on Feb. 7, 2011 at 6:58 PM

I appreciate your question. I have a 3  year old and we are doing preschool right now. I'd love to be acquainted with homeschool methods. I am going to check out A Well Trained Mind.

Blessings!

LaVonne

http://longwaitforisabella.blogspot.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)