Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Questions

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:09 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 342 Total Views

Two quick questions:

1)  Do your husbands help out at all with homeschooling?  My husband is supportive of me doing this, but I'd like for him to be involved in some ways as well.  I guess I want it to be more of a family thing.  Suggestions?

2)  How do you deal with family members that aren't supportive?  My side of the family thinks I'm going to be limiting my kids by homeschooling.  They can't understand why I wouldn't want to send them to school.  Their main argument is that my kids will be hurt socially.  Does anyone else have a similar situation?  I love my family, but am finding I want different opportunities for my kids, that my parenting style is different from my parents.

Thanks for your ideas and advice!

Becky

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanut06
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Hubby plans to cover the areas I don't, like vehicle maintenance and hunting stuff (field-dressing a deer or hog is animal science, biology dissection, you name it).  As to family, my grandmother taught in a one-room schoolhouse and her main "concern" with us homeschooling is the age-old socialization argument.  I asked her to voice all her concerns, gave my responses, and then asked that the subject be off-limits unless she can be supportive.  If that doesn't work with your family and you're at their house, just walk up to their cabinets and start rearranging the contents.  When asked what you think you're doing, tell them, "Since you can tell me how I'm wrong with my life, I thought this worked both ways.  I've never much cared for where you store your plates."  Sometimes we have to step on toes to show people that they have stepped on ours.

Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:21 PM

My husband has nothing to do with homeschooling. He is not well suited for it.

I avoid and ignore relatives that are against it.

Erin814
by Guidance on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:51 PM

My husband and I decided that we would homeschool before we had children, so he has always been involved.  He especially like working on science projects with our son.  I do the majority of the planning and lessons though because he also has a pretty demanding job.

As for family that is not supportive...I don't deal with them.  It's none of their business.

bina101679
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:42 PM

My DH is overseas so he wont be much help at all, lol  Sending him things will be more of a "community project" type thing.... and geographical..cause we can always see where he's been and where he is now.. but anyhow... i havent had much critism... but im pretty blunt...  i'd be like. "Yea well they arent your KIDS now are they?"

Love the plate rearranging idea, LMAO

Eowynmichelle
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:47 PM

When I was home schooled (and the way that I plan to home school), my dad helped with science experiments (yeah, the fun stuff!), math problems that we couldn't solve, and went on various field trips.

Both sides of my family were totally against home schooling when my parents began twenty some years ago.  My mom's side now, at least, recognizes the benefits and thinks that home schooling is great.  While my dad's family is still against it, they can't deny that my parents have had three children go to college on full scholarships.  Plus, they can tell just by speaking with any of my siblings that none of us were under-socialized.  They might not like it, but they can't say anything bad about it.

Don't listen to anyone who wants to put you down for doing what you feel is best for your kids.  There will always be nay-sayers, but this is YOUR family.  Do it your way!

jen2150
by Helping Hands on Feb. 10, 2011 at 8:28 AM

My husband works 6 days a week and overtime so I can stay home.  He is such a great Dad and husband.  I would involve him but let him decided how much he wants to be involved.  I show my husband all the books we use, what I like and why, how our kids are doing, and he gives me his imput on ideas I have for our homeschool.  We discuss things in the evening.  I would just talk with him but let him decide how much he wants to be involved. 

As far as family members that aren't supportive I tell them how well my kids are doing and if they give me attitude I give it right back to them.  If they are polite and just asking question then I respond likewise.  After a while they will see the difference in your children.  Good luck

eeyore11262
by Testing the waters on Feb. 10, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I have alot of people who are not supportive.  Family and friends constantly want to know why wwould I want to home school when she could go to school for free.  Our tax dollars go toward public school.  None of that matters to me.  When I took my daughter home to school her she had had 5 years (K-4) of trouble.  Now that we are home schooling, she is excelling!!  She gets awesome scores for her EOG's.  Last year she got a 98 on them.  We are so proud.  My husband teaches science and math.  I teach language, Bible and history.  This teamwork works out really well.  My hhusband loves to teach and it is a really good way for them to bond also.

BiloxiDreams
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 10, 2011 at 12:20 PM

DH does't really do anything.  He supports us and buys the materials I request but I teach when he's at work and when he's home we have family time.  He does ask the kids what they did and has them tell him what they learned and sometimes looks at their work but that's about it.

My family was unsupportive but I made it clear that this is what we were doing and they could get on board or leave me alone.  After about four or five months they've come around.  I'm sure they hope I put the kids in school at some point but they no longer voice their opinions

unicornnymph22
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 10, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Single mom here so it's all me!

As for family opposing, ExH and his family are the only ones opposing. I told him that since the courts gave me primary, so if he has anything to say he can take it to court. So far I have had no complaints. As for his family, they have no say, so I ignore them.

DawnA72
by Guidance on Feb. 10, 2011 at 11:52 PM

My husband's main role in homeschooling is support.  He listens to my complaints when I've had a rough day.  He gives me the money I need to buy the supplies we need.  But he's also taught some science lessons (he's a science whiz while I am best with Language Arts).  He's also stepped in a few times when a child's failure to grasp a math concept has driven me insane. 

I haven't really had any problems with family.  I come from a small family.  My mom thinks I'm crazy to do it, but admits I'm doing a good job and even buys educational items for the kids when she finds something that she thinks looks helpful or interesting. 

I went to public school.  It did NOTHING positive for my social development.  In fact, I didn't really develp socially until I was out in the real world.  Real life isn't like school anyway.  Interacting in real life situations (the doctor's office, the grocery store, the library) are far better for developing social skills in my opinion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)