Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm worried about TOO many little ones and getting things done!

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2011 at 9:47 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 798 Total Views

I currently have a 7mo, 1.5yo, 2.5yo, 4yo, and 5yo.

When we would start to homeschool my 5yo would be in 1st grade, my 4yo in kinder garden, and my 2.5yo I'd be working on some pre-k stuff (she will be 3 by then).

I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed to start 3 kids HS and still have 2 others to watch at the same time!

Any other mamas have any ideas or tips or in the same boat?

by on Feb. 12, 2011 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jen2150
by Helping Hands on Feb. 12, 2011 at 11:36 AM

I had a preschooler and a kindergartner/1st grader at the same time.  I found ways to involve him, and things he liked to do.  I also set up some rules.  I also would only let him watch baby eistein only during the times I worked with his older brother.  Many times my younger ones would come and listen for a while and then just go and play.  I am not saying there will not be moments or days when things go as well as you like.  Another benefit of homeschooling year round. Bad days weren't that much of a big deal.   I also would like to say after a couple years homeschooling becomes a part of our family routine.  Your child will adjust.  Homeschooling is lifestyle and not just something we moms do a couple hours per day.  Right now your kids will learn the most through play activities and reading to them.  I would get a big white board and let everyone write on it at there own level.  I got a dry erase sheet for $20 on ebay.  It was 30 inches by ten feet and was plenty of room for everyone to write.  If you need more tips just let me know.  I would experiment and find what works best for your family. 

Ecobabyz
by Testing the waters on Feb. 12, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Here is a couple of great posts by moms who homeschool 5+kids: The Truth, Jessica's Homeschool Day, plus this is great to read - What the "Experts" Would Do Differently. All these articles have greatly eased any of my fears of homeschooling all the kids we hope to have. I also recently wrote a review of The Well-Adjusted Child: the Social Benefits of Homeschooling that I think would be very encouraging for you to read. Hope this helps!

orange4agua72
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 12, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Thanks! (And strangely my name is Jessica as well, I can't wait to read, LOL)

Quoting Ecobabyz:

Here is a couple of great posts by moms who homeschool 5+kids: The Truth, Jessica's Homeschool Day, plus this is great to read - What the "Experts" Would Do Differently. All these articles have greatly eased any of my fears of homeschooling all the kids we hope to have. I also recently wrote a review of The Well-Adjusted Child: the Social Benefits of Homeschooling that I think would be very encouraging for you to read. Hope this helps!

orange4agua72
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 12, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Thanks for the dry erase idea... I was wondering what we could use, THANKS!

Quoting jen2150:

I had a preschooler and a kindergartner/1st grader at the same time.  I found ways to involve him, and things he liked to do.  I also set up some rules.  I also would only let him watch baby eistein only during the times I worked with his older brother.  Many times my younger ones would come and listen for a while and then just go and play.  I am not saying there will not be moments or days when things go as well as you like.  Another benefit of homeschooling year round. Bad days weren't that much of a big deal.   I also would like to say after a couple years homeschooling becomes a part of our family routine.  Your child will adjust.  Homeschooling is lifestyle and not just something we moms do a couple hours per day.  Right now your kids will learn the most through play activities and reading to them.  I would get a big white board and let everyone write on it at there own level.  I got a dry erase sheet for $20 on ebay.  It was 30 inches by ten feet and was plenty of room for everyone to write.  If you need more tips just let me know.  I would experiment and find what works best for your family. 

MomofEleven
by on Feb. 13, 2011 at 8:05 AM

I had the exact situation.  When my oldest started kindergarten, he was 5, and I had a 4yo, 3yo, 2yo and one on the way.  So, I had Dr. appts between school and a new baby in March of his kindergarten year.  My best advice is to keep it simple.  The most important thing is reading and math, and anything else you do is gravy.  Doing activities with your little kids counts as 'art, physical education, gross and fine motor skills, etc."  I also put aside special toys for just school time for the other kids, or gave them an educational video to watch.  Kindergarten seat work is best done in short spurts of 15 to 30 min tops. Then play, play,play. 

That 5 year old is now 18 an in a great college, my 17 yo graduates from homeschool this June, my 16yo loves math and science and acting, my 15 yo is on track for engineering, my 13/14yo is in 8th grade, my 12 year old is in 7th, the 11yo is in 5th, then there are the 9yo, 7yo, 5yo and 3yo.  I am no super mom, so if I can do it ,so can you.  We are average and not super intellectuals.  I didn't even 'do science' until middle school.

Don't get overwhelmed imagining the future--take it a day at a time.

Blessings,

orange4agua72
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 13, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Thank you SO much! It's AWESOME to hear how sucessful you have been with it!

(And I'm jealous of all your kiddos (LOL), hubby and I want more but aren't allowed anymore because of my uterus)

Quoting MomofEleven:

I had the exact situation.  When my oldest started kindergarten, he was 5, and I had a 4yo, 3yo, 2yo and one on the way.  So, I had Dr. appts between school and a new baby in March of his kindergarten year.  My best advice is to keep it simple.  The most important thing is reading and math, and anything else you do is gravy.  Doing activities with your little kids counts as 'art, physical education, gross and fine motor skills, etc."  I also put aside special toys for just school time for the other kids, or gave them an educational video to watch.  Kindergarten seat work is best done in short spurts of 15 to 30 min tops. Then play, play,play. 

That 5 year old is now 18 an in a great college, my 17 yo graduates from homeschool this June, my 16yo loves math and science and acting, my 15 yo is on track for engineering, my 13/14yo is in 8th grade, my 12 year old is in 7th, the 11yo is in 5th, then there are the 9yo, 7yo, 5yo and 3yo.  I am no super mom, so if I can do it ,so can you.  We are average and not super intellectuals.  I didn't even 'do science' until middle school.

Don't get overwhelmed imagining the future--take it a day at a time.

Blessings,

energygirl
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:20 PM

my 4 year old does www.abcya.com (like abcmouse only it's free) with kindergarden type of stuff while I do school with my 6 year old.  Nextyear they will do science and math together.  My 3 year old either plays or watches a short leapfrog dvd.......or helps the 4 yr old on the computer.  Having some puzzles or foam letters.....some special toys for  the 2 1/2 yr old will help keep them occupied.  With the 7 month and 1.5 year old......just remember that if they "interrupt" the lesson.....you can take a short break....so a few pauses in the schoolwork will be ok.  Some folks do kindergarden just 4 days a week...that might help.  We are using sonlight stuff so we can do some of our subjects together as the kids get older. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)