Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone have multiple children and only HS 1 of them?

Posted by   + Show Post

I know I wouldn't be able to teach all of them and its not what they would want anyway, but one of my fears is that homeschooling one child is going to create a cycle of the other 2 saying, "I can't go to school - I'm sick.  I'm nervous.  Why does she get to stay here and I don't?"  My daughter has anxiety and I think she could benefit from teaching in the home but I have some reservations.  Advice?

by on Feb. 25, 2011 at 11:33 PM
Replies (11-13):
Satan71
by on Mar. 1, 2011 at 10:50 AM

I started homeschooling my oldest this year. He has ADHD and middle school was running him ragged. It was too hard for him to remember things because you have to move from class to class and interacting with other kids was becoming an issue, he was failing school so I decided to teach him at home.Now that the school year is half way over, I totally want to homeschool my other younger ones two next year. I hate that they come home with all this homework for us to do and I have already finished teaching my 8th grader by 1pm. If I homeschool them all we can have more freedom for field trips and other things. But, I would only do that if they wanted to stay home. My daughter who is going into 7th grade does. My 4th grader likes to go to school so I am not sure if he will. I have had a couple of times that one of them or the other doesn't think its fair that my oldest doesn't have homework but I remind them of the solid time that he does study and how many breaks they get at school. When one of them wants to stay home I remind them of why we made the choices we did and send them off to school. So far, it hasn't been too hard for them to understand. Everyones family is different and we all have to make the best choices for our own family. Do what your instincts are telling you and then just see where it takes you.

NYCitymomx3
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 1, 2011 at 7:45 PM

When we first started homeschooling, it was only dd, who was 8 at the time.  Oldest dd was 11 and ds was 3 - both were in school.   Same thing the following year.  By the time ds was 5 and oldest dd was 13, both chose to homeschool.  It was a great year having all 3 kids home.  Ds and younger dd continued homeschooling the following year and oldest dd went to high school.  3 years after that, younger dd went to high school, so now I only have ds home.  He's almost 10 and in 4th grade.  He'll most likely want to go to high school when the time comes. 

I never had any issues because I gave my kids the choice to either homeschool or not.  It was that simple. 

mrstorres569
by Testing the waters on Dec. 13, 2012 at 9:16 AM
I am a 24 year old got married at 18 years old.hade my first set at the age of 17..mom with 7 kids:) and 4 pregnetcy I have 3sets of twins..their all from the same dad..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)