Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help. My 9 y/o is still not reading more then four words at a time.

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:00 PM
  • 18 Replies
  • 559 Total Views

I can not have him not reading well any longer. What do i do?? I welcome all thoughts and ideas. What is the best way to get a older child interested in reading????    He reads at about 2nd  level.  What can I do? program or anything that has helped ANYONE !!  This is a begging momma here.

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Hall Monitor on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:52 PM

What have you used up until this point?  We use Phonics Pathways with great success.  I highly recommend it.  Hang in there, he will get it.

by Welcome Squad on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:12 PM

My five year old got a lot of help learning to read from  My two year old is starting to use it now as well.  It has worked well for us.

by Welcome Squad on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:31 PM
My oldest ds was not reading well at around 9. I got him hooked on calvin and hobbes and other comics...once his reading took off it was easier to get him to read other books outside of his comfort zone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Helping Hands on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:12 PM

I would find out what he is interested in and read together.  What kind of things does he like?  Do you read bigger books to him?  If not I would definately do that.  Let him follow along as you read.  Curl up on the bed together and read.  I would start with the Roald Dahl's books.  They are awesome for boys.  I would also try and figure where his problem areas are and work on those. 

by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Have you had his eyes checked?

Tested for LDs?

ITs quite normal for children (esp boys) to not read "on grade level" until 8-12 years old, so I wouldn't worry too much yet. (this is one of many reasons why I don't go by "grade level"-I measure my son by the fact that he is making progress.)

My son is 40 days away from completing "1st grade" and probably on an early kindergarten "grade level" for reading. I'm not at all worried because he's only 7, he'll learn in time, he's well above "grade level" in science, on grade level in others,  I'm just happy because he is learning and making progress. I measure him against himself, not hte masses or PS system that I don't agree with...

(I hope this doesn't sound snarky-I just woke up and I have a headache-I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm trying to be nice smile mini)

Sonita - Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4)

by Helping Hands on Mar. 3, 2011 at 10:31 AM

I was also going to suggest having his eyes checked. My daughter was having a terrible time with reading and so I took her in and found out she is very farsighted. She has done so much better! Have you asked him what the problems may be? Sometimes just asking can help loads. My brother HATED to read when he was younger. Now, (at 21) he is beginning to like it.  I hope you find an answer.

by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 10:39 AM

I recently put my son on reading eggs.  He loves it!  I think it is like 65.00 for a year. 

They guarentee a child will be able to read after 6 weeks.

by Testing the waters on Mar. 4, 2011 at 11:10 AM

He is reading, just not very well and not independently. I am having trouble getting him off the 'mothers teat' so to speak in reading. He doesn't enjoy it and he will not read independently.  He is at about second and third level in books.   I do read to him, but getting him to write is torture.  We both end up crying. *L* homeschool can be tough!    I just signed up for reading eggs. Thanks for the suggestions!

by Helping Hands on Mar. 4, 2011 at 9:11 PM
I would try backing off completely trying to get him to read on his own. Keep reading to him, as much as you can, and as interesting to him as you can. Same thing with writing. Sometimes you just get your horns locked in a power struggle and you need to just completely let go!

What is he interested in? Is there something he is interested in that he needs to read in order to do it? For example, my boys have a Lego Universe subscription. They "chat" with other players in the game and love to goon the message boards (they are 9 & 10). Often it is something like that that really makes it important and inspires them to read.

Some other ideas are leaving him lots of notes, finding a magazine he is interested in (my boys really like the National Geographic Kids). Comics are another way to get some kids interested.
by Testing the waters on Mar. 12, 2011 at 12:27 PM

I have 5 kids. My oldest is 12 and a boy. He struggled with reading till he was 11 and all of the sudden hes reading novels. My second a boy who is 10 struggles alot and reading is grade 1-2. My third girl age 7 is only reading at words and just starting to recognize her numbers and letters. We have been working with her for 2 years! My fourth is a boy who is 4 not potty trained yet and he knows his numbers and letters! The baby is 1 and still no words and refuses to hold a bottle. My point is this... they are all different. Relax. It will come. They will get it eventually. They all do. A book I recomend is Better late than early by Robert Moor. I understand the fear but no matter how hard you push they will not do it or get it till they are ready. I hope it helps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)