Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chicken eggs

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2011 at 2:04 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 603 Total Views

I have 12 chickens that just started laying eggs. How do you properly clean them? I know you don't scrub them because bacteria will leach in the egg. My DH wanted me to find out because he says he don't want to eat chicken poop. I don't understand why lol. Seriously the eggs are pretty clean looking except some have alittle poo on it. I don't want anyone to get sick.

One more question, why are my home eggs more yellow than store eggs? I had a few store bought eggs and I notice this huge difference and wandered why? Even organic eggs are different.

Thanks

by on Mar. 18, 2011 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MyIslandGirls
by on Mar. 18, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Ok so.. Chciken poo helps keep the egg fresh... gross but true.

We just  wash with cold water and a scrubber... a friend puts a little dishsoap in with her scrub water.. and I'm heard of putting vinegar in the water as well.

Your yolk color is different because your chickens are healthier than the mass produced egg layers and they are new layers too. most farm fresh egg yolk are dark yellow.. because the chickens are given the proper nutrients to sustain good egg quality.

treystiredmommy
by Lynn on Mar. 22, 2011 at 10:24 PM

check out thebackyardchicken.com its a wonderful site for people who raise chickens.  you can learn any and everything you ever wanted or needed to know about chickens

Crazy_Daze
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 22, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

Ok so.. Chciken poo helps keep the egg fresh... gross but true.

We just  wash with cold water and a scrubber... a friend puts a little dishsoap in with her scrub water.. and I'm heard of putting vinegar in the water as well.

Your yolk color is different because your chickens are healthier than the mass produced egg layers and they are new layers too. most farm fresh egg yolk are dark yellow.. because the chickens are given the proper nutrients to sustain good egg quality.

Yeah, what she said. Also, your eggs will taste a lot better : )

PeaceChild
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 23, 2011 at 12:05 PM

I typically use a little bit of baking soda on a cloth, washing them under faucet, and they come out quite clean.  The rich yellow of the yolk is from the higher protein levels from insects, their grain, etc. 

SimplySonita
by on Mar. 24, 2011 at 8:01 AM

Yep-you shouldn't wash them until you're ready to use them as it keeps them longer-personally though-I'm not putting chicken poo in my fridgebig smile mini-so I do wash the ones that get stored in the fridge but I don't wash the ones I store on the counter until I'm ready to use them. (I only store some in the fridge because we have so many chikens laying so many eggs-I'm even about to start feezing some)

smj1394
by Suzanne on Mar. 25, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Wash they ones you put in your fridge - homegrown chicken will have a different color to them.  I have seen yellow, tan, brown - it all ok.

sweetnspacey
by Testing the waters on Mar. 25, 2011 at 12:36 PM

I have been washing them with a little soap but I think I will switch to vinegar or baking soda (thanks ladies). I'm not 100% sure but I also believe that the color has to do with freshness as well. But maybe that's just something I have been telling myself.

jenettyshome
by on Mar. 26, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Whenever I got fresh eggs from my friend I would just wash them off with warm water before cracking them open. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)