Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you had the opportunity to go off the grid would you take it?

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2011 at 12:32 PM
  • 44 Replies
  • 2805 Total Views
1 mom liked this

My family has been invited to homestead a corner of a large piece of property that some close friends own.   This is not like "a bit off the beaten path" kind of land tho... we would be an hour from cell phone service, reliant on solar power, rain water and natural springs... you can't access the farm with out a 4 wheel drive and if the weather is really bad you cant access it at all.  

Were not ready to pick up and move... my kids arnt conditioned for it, itll take a lot of preperation, but we are going ot start building a structure that we can camp on, and eventually close in and turn into a cabin and grow from there... start spending more of our free time up there and making a little place where we can go eventually when were ready to get out of the city.  

On one hand im really excited.  If It was just me, or we just had one or two kids we would be selling the house tomorrow!!!  I tell my kids were food comes from, the hard work that goes into making food, but its easy to not grasp that when mom can run to the supermarket any time we need things.  We try to eat local food thats in season... but if the recipe really calls for pineapple we can get one at the grocery store.  If we were living almost completely out of our own garden... which is how our friends live up there, then you dont have any choice but to eat fresh and local foods.    I think my kids would learn amazing life lessons and skills if their back yard, school and playground were 100 acres of woods, streams, ponds and mountains. 

The other part of me is worried about it being a good decision to take so many kids out in the middle of nowhere.  What if something happened?  We are hours from a hospital or drs office.  There will be no quick runs to the store if someone is ill and needs something.   

Anyways... What would you do?  If your family was extended the same invatation would you take it?  

Lauren & Cara MOMS of SIX great kids!!! 

by on Mar. 21, 2011 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Satan71
by on Mar. 21, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Wow, that is such a decision to make. I like your plan of easing the kids into the lifestyle. Are your friends the type that might change their minds about letting you use the property? Will there be a rental or lease contract? Off the grid living is my dream but we won't be able to do it until my kids are older. ( Almost grown up older ) What an adventure!

elmo6885
by on Mar. 21, 2011 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. Yes. And did I say yes? Lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jadegirl1819
by on Mar. 21, 2011 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I would do a vacation place maybe.  I wouldn't feel safe enough to live there permanantly because of medical issues and we actually like to socialize.  =)

Natalie5
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 21, 2011 at 1:12 PM
We couldn't. My dh relies on phone/internet for his job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrs.pyle
by on Mar. 21, 2011 at 1:17 PM

i would.

mamadowns
by on Mar. 21, 2011 at 1:22 PM

I would do it.  I am very attached to my lifestyle, however, I would definatly do it.  I am always striving for a simpler lifestyle.  I would love this.  I have my own business as a dog trainer and that might be an issue.  However, I would give it up!

pyratwife
by on Mar. 21, 2011 at 2:47 PM

I am a city girl. but I do fantasize about getting stranded on a deserted tropical island... especially when the bilss start rolling in and I have think about my credit report. 

Cara5
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 21, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Ok... good! No one thinks im crazy!   As for rental/lease/family changing their minds these people are like family to us and they are concerned that no one will be there to protect their land when they are too old to care for it, so they are just as invested in us and our children having a stronger attachment to the land as we are, if not more so.  

As far as work goes, DP is nearing being eligible for retirement (she enlisted at 17, so shes long overdue!) and Im a SAHM anyway...  Most of what we pay for would be eliminated by moving out of the city.  We have several rental properties that we would sell if we made this a full time or most of the time move, so we would have income from that as start up.   Id like to keep an apartment or a small house near were we are now because the kids drs are all here... we could come back home for a week here and there and do all the Dr stuff, go to an important event or visit friends etc.. 

So far we have only told the kids that we have been invited to build a cabin and have a place to go when we want to get away...  they are very excited.  Hopefully they will be excited about long term plans when we get that far.  :)  

Think of all the bills that we wouldnt have to pay!!!  We would only need one pay-as-you-go cell phone for use when were traveling, no water bill at all, no electric bill outside of the start up for solar panels and up keep and a couple hundred bucks to fill the propane tank once or twice a year!  Makes me want to start packing!!!  

The kids would have all the entertainment they needed out of the back door... no more expensive lessons and classes... ahhh it would be so nice.   

Okay, enough fantasizing... back to work!  Were planting lettuce today :) 

JulieBrown
by Helping Hands on Mar. 21, 2011 at 4:49 PM

I think it might be exciting....  I don't think I could go for more than a couple months, but I don't think I could do it permanently. 

I have thought about doing a similar thing, but I am a wimp.

momversuswild
by on Mar. 21, 2011 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not be able to do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)