Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you had the opportunity to go off the grid would you take it?

Posted by   + Show Post

My family has been invited to homestead a corner of a large piece of property that some close friends own.   This is not like "a bit off the beaten path" kind of land tho... we would be an hour from cell phone service, reliant on solar power, rain water and natural springs... you can't access the farm with out a 4 wheel drive and if the weather is really bad you cant access it at all.  

Were not ready to pick up and move... my kids arnt conditioned for it, itll take a lot of preperation, but we are going ot start building a structure that we can camp on, and eventually close in and turn into a cabin and grow from there... start spending more of our free time up there and making a little place where we can go eventually when were ready to get out of the city.  

On one hand im really excited.  If It was just me, or we just had one or two kids we would be selling the house tomorrow!!!  I tell my kids were food comes from, the hard work that goes into making food, but its easy to not grasp that when mom can run to the supermarket any time we need things.  We try to eat local food thats in season... but if the recipe really calls for pineapple we can get one at the grocery store.  If we were living almost completely out of our own garden... which is how our friends live up there, then you dont have any choice but to eat fresh and local foods.    I think my kids would learn amazing life lessons and skills if their back yard, school and playground were 100 acres of woods, streams, ponds and mountains. 

The other part of me is worried about it being a good decision to take so many kids out in the middle of nowhere.  What if something happened?  We are hours from a hospital or drs office.  There will be no quick runs to the store if someone is ill and needs something.   

Anyways... What would you do?  If your family was extended the same invatation would you take it?  

Lauren & Cara MOMS of SIX great kids!!! 

by on Mar. 21, 2011 at 12:32 PM
Replies (41-44):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I totally could do that! I could give up a lot!

DH would never do it. Too much work.

AJ-47
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Quoting elmo6885:

Yes. Yes. And did I say yes? Lol!

PrimalMom
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Ha, we live in Alaska now and there's a lot of people that live off the grid here but many of them live with internet :) I could definitely do it but it would depend on where. I won't say I'm really spoiled but I do enjoy a real hot shower ready for me in the negative freezing mornings lol. Since no family lives near me, I would want to be able to connect with them every once in a while. That's about it for me though, a homestead has always been my dream.

celticdragon77
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:15 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN