Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting homeschool in high school.

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2011 at 12:45 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 286 Total Views

My dd is in 10th grade and we've already sent in our notice of intent to homeschool, just waiting for the confirmation notice to pull her out.

I'm not in a good financial situation, but even homeschooling will save us money, I think. Any way I have my younger daughter using Head of the Class and we love it, but of course my older daughter is too old for that.

I have experience with ACE and started her on the diagnostic, it said to start the test 5 years back to make sure there aren't any learning gaps. Well, she did the 5th and 6 th grade tests and it placed her in mid 5th grade! Um, when she left the school that she was using ACE in she was in 5th grade doing 7th grade paces. I'm sure it's just a matter of needing refreshing, she's always been an excellent student, reading well beyond her years. I'm just not sure if I should just put her in late 10 th grade paces anyway, or go with something else that won't cost an arm and a leg to get started.

by on Mar. 30, 2011 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
stacys29
by CountryMamato3 on Mar. 30, 2011 at 3:05 PM

My oldest DS is about to start high school too. You may want to look into k12.com. They have FREE hs (look on the site for the exact link because they do charge too). They provide everything. I don't know what state you are in but here in FL the school board does not send you a letter letting you know that they received your letter of intent. There are many ways to hs for FREE or next to nothing, you just have to research it. If you go to HSLDA.org they have links to schools too. GL!

kristinas8
by on Mar. 30, 2011 at 4:42 PM

No, k12 is not in my state, at least not for free. 

bren_darlene
by Hall Monitor Bren on Mar. 30, 2011 at 8:48 PM

We personally started with all ABeka when I first began over 18 yrs ago. My oldest was starting high school at that time.

MoonNStars
by on Mar. 30, 2011 at 10:03 PM

I started with the curriculum used in A Well Trained Mind.  I bought everything off Amazon for a wonderful price and started the kids at 9th grade level.

svmelton
by Testing the waters on Apr. 12, 2011 at 2:01 PM

My DD has done K12 and IQAcademy, both are free online school programs and both provide all supplies and study material. She is in 9th grade now and seems to prefer K12. 

Good Luck to you!  Homeschooling at the High School level has been very challenging:)

victoriaherring
by Welcome Squad on Jul. 30, 2011 at 9:17 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
betseyjo
by Testing the waters on Aug. 1, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Here in Pensacola the Office of School Choice does notify that they received your Letter of Intent. If you live in Florida and finances are a real concern you might consider using Florida Virtual School.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)