Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone use Free World U flashcard system?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2011 at 4:47 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 4614 Total Views
1 mom liked this

I'm thinking of switching from k12 online school to Free World U and would love to hear if anyone has used it and what they think.  Here is a like if you haven't hear of it:

http://www.freeworldu.org/static/index.aspx

Nancy

by on Apr. 11, 2011 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poohbear1183
by Stephanie on Apr. 19, 2011 at 2:32 PM

There are a few post on here about it. I jsut started using it. I am using the free option. They also have an option where you can use it and get testeed after each set of flashcards and you can't move on till yuo pass the test. And if you pay the fee per month they keep track of the progress and grades for you. I am using the preschool flashcards and my daughter loves them. You can read teh cards to her or you can have the computer read them. Also, you can decide when/if you child gets to see them again. There is options to see it that day, 1 day, 7 days, 30 days or never. Since my girl is only 3 yrs old, I don't just use it I also do hands on activities like working in teh garden reading books, coloring and soon we will be doing finger paints.

What did you think about k12 online school?

nancylynn
by Testing the waters on Apr. 26, 2011 at 9:43 PM

I thought the k12 online school was good, but it changes in high school and becomes a bit less flexible.  There are more deadlines, etc.  We want something that is more self-paced and flexible.

poohbear1183
by Stephanie on Apr. 30, 2011 at 3:55 AM

Quoting nancylynn:

I thought the k12 online school was good, but it changes in high school and becomes a bit less flexible.  There are more deadlines, etc.  We want something that is more self-paced and flexible.

I agree with you on something that needs to be flexible. I don't realy plan anything. I just kind of wing it. When the baby (is 11 months old a baby) is napping I take the time to read to her, play math games, handwriting practice, sing songs on you tube, color or whatever. I think this works for us fo rnow. She will be 3 in August and her dr suggested we don't put her in pre school because she would be very bored. So I have been thinking of starting notebooking. I think I will start with animals and their habitats? Or perhaps the 50 states? I think notebooking gives us as much flexibility as we want. In Oregon I don't have to keep records of what we teach, what we use or even attendence. Sometimes I wish we did and others i liek it the way it is. Anyhow..have you used notebooking in your homeschool adventures?

Lorelai
by Helping Hands on Apr. 30, 2011 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it would be great for highschool as long as you suppliment with something else as well. At that age they need to learn to think and do, not just memorize. KWIM?

poohbear1183
by Stephanie on Apr. 30, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Hwat does KWIM mean? And also..after using it for about a week. I now only use it once or twice a week and only for 10 minutes at a time. She is so young I really don't want to have her in fron of the computer for so long.

nancylynn
by Testing the waters on May. 10, 2011 at 10:41 AM

We've just started using it and love it so far.  We've e-mailed and spoken with her teacher and will be doing regular projects (that Shannon gets to create and choose!) to supplement the flashcards.  I am really excited. :)

Quoting Lorelai:

I think it would be great for highschool as long as you suppliment with something else as well. At that age they need to learn to think and do, not just memorize. KWIM?

hsewfw2
by Testing the waters on Jan. 25, 2012 at 10:51 PM

hi i just recently found out about k12, i tried registering, but its full right now. im in the midst of soing free world u, since k12 isnt working. i put my daughter on there, shes in dindergarden and it works really well. 3 min registeration process, i like it. Its better than my homeschooling with radom things at home, trying to figure out what to teach next. Its all laid out for me, giving a more in depth approach than i have been giving her.

conweis
by Helping Hands on Jan. 25, 2012 at 11:03 PM

I just registered my youngest for it since my ex wont pay the $8 for abcmouse.com. I havent tried it yet but hopes he likes it. I really don't understand the concept that well yet. it seems you look at the card and then they give you the answer. No clicking for the right answer. I could be wrong

nikki0522
by Helping Hands on Jan. 25, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I've looked at it, but reading flashcards online seems incredibly boring.

ChandraRose
by Testing the waters on Sep. 22, 2012 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I do I am using it fulltime for my 2 children and now have my roomate doing it with his ADHD special needs daughter age 10.  It is fantastic and I have my personal system working quite well.  15 min Freeworldu.org then 5-15 min something else then back to Freeworldu.org.  Try it..  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN