Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All New to Home Schooling. Feel like I am drowing

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 3:53 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 625 Total Views

Hello all I am Lynette, I have 4 children and 3 of whom are on the Autism Spectrum. Due to the simple fact of the PS suck and are too worried about mainstreaming special needs children and fitting the budget they have stripped my DS 7 and DD 5 of all supports for the coming school year.

I feel that they will be treated like I was in school and just passed along without helping them in the area's they have trouble with. Soooooo

After much discussion with DH he has VERY reluctantly agreed that I can homeschool DS however he is worried that HS all of them would be too much load for me along with all my housewife/mommy duties.

Where do I start and any advice on how to get him to understand that this is gonna be a good choice for our family. The kids are massive restricted on activities they wish to due cause of thier therapy schedules and I feel with homeschooling it would be more flexible for them to do things like scouts and martial arts cause we wouldn't have to worry quite so much about truancy laws. Also they learn faster when the subjects apply to the things they like.

Sorry I know i am rambling but I know in my heart that this is what is best but without DH's support the family will fight me hardcore on this.

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 23, 2011 at 6:21 PM
I am sorry that I have no advise....I'm still trying to convince dh that its the right choice for US! I am having this battle with him reason that I have given him is good enough yet. In the end I hope he sees my point....

So here's a bump for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Mine is ok with me HS my oldest but still thinks the younger 3 should all be PS. I just can't agree with him. I already teach them all at once due to when I am working on reading comprhension wih oldest DS they want to "play" school too. not to mention mine are the type that REALLY love learning and before considering HS i was looking for a year round school. (we use to have one here that was AWESOME but it closed). So I plan on breaking our schedule up to reflect this. Summer here is so hot my super sensory kids can't really go out in the day time anyways so planned on summer units about astromomy and animals that are nocturnal.

by Welcome Squad on Apr. 24, 2011 at 12:16 AM

It's just about as much work to teach 4 as it is to teach one. Looks like your kids are all near the same age range so that really simplifies things.

As far as getting the housework done AND Homeschooling and .......... well, that part, I'm still working on.  LOL

by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 2:52 AM

You are taking on so much, but I really admire you for sacrificing your time, energy, and possibly pieces of your sanity. As a mom of children on the spectrum, I'm sure you're used to dealing with IEPs. Just remember that you are just taking full control of your children's IEP. Now you are going to be taking over and not leaving their education and daily life to chance. I don't have much advice for you other than schedule schedule schedule. I'm new to the homeschooling world, so I would not be the person to advise you, but from my (pre-child of my own) work w/ children on the spectrum, scheduling seemed to be key. And scouts are great as an extra curricular.

You can do this. And you are giving your children an amazing gift. You know your children best and you will figure out what works for your family and what doesn't. Hopefully DH will come around.

you rock

*Edit* So I was thinking about it, and something your DH probably hasn't considered is that you've been teaching your children at home since birth (until PS), and you're obviously going to be supplementing their education even if they go to PS. So it makes perfect sense to cut the PS middleman out and take charge of their education yourself.

by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 10:22 AM

There are many approaches but it sounds like you'd like doing unit studies.

Check out they have lots of free unit studies and lapbooks to get you started. Or you could do like us (we're unschoolers but tend to learn in a unit study manner) and build your own unit studies just by scouring the web for free resources on your topic.

You can see how I put one together on chickens/eggs here. 

Sonita - Mom to Ephram (7) and Malachi (4)

Mod for CafeMom-run Homeschooling Moms Group

by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 12:12 PM

(Sorry turned out long!)

Hello Lynette,

I would say that you are spot on with the feeling that it would create ultimate flexibility if you were homeschooling. If you have one in and one out of school it will make your job a lot harder - much more restricted - speaking from experience here!

Have a look at your State laws and you will proabably find they have a number of days you are required to homeschool and a number of hours per day. I think you and your DH would be suprised at the requirements - not nearly as much as you would think.

As your children are getting a little older they will be able to help with the housework (teaching team-work and responsibility, good life skills...) - so your DH needn't be concerned that it won't be done ;)

I think one thing to discuss with DH is that you can give it a year, semester, 6 months or whatever time span he agrees to - make sure it is enough time though to get settled though - and then re-evaluate.

I would think about what his job is - I presume that he works as you are responsible for all the children and housework. Think of how he approaches a new challenge at work or a new assignment and put this homeschooling idea to him that way. He will need to be involved somehow but unfortunately it will fall on you to sort the day to day.

Maybe he is reluctant as he feels you are not coping with things at the moment so he feels how could you cope with something else...? One trick is to convince him that you can cope - become super-organised - make some charts for chores - start dividing things up among the children - get some file boxes ready - unfortunately it seems as if you have to prove yourself - it is often the case with homeschooling.

You will also be able to convince yourself that you can do it.

The ulitmate persuasion - holidays are much, much cheaper if you are homeschooling all the children - you can go when the rest of the world is at school :)

Good luck.

by Testing the waters on Apr. 25, 2011 at 12:13 PM

by Welcome Squad on Apr. 25, 2011 at 3:22 PM

In your situation, sounds like HS is the way to go.  It won't be easy - but neither will dealing with self-esteem issues of children that are "failing" in PS.  Parents usually do know best - pray about it, pray with or for your husband and ask for others to do so.  find other homschooling families in the area and see  if they can help support you (library is a good place to start, hs's hang there!).  Understand WHY your husband is against it and WHY you are for it.  Write it out and go through the list together, one item at a time if that's all you can handle emotionally.  Research the methods first before jumping into one set way of doing things - workboxes, unit studies, traditional school, unschooling, Charlotte Mason, classical, etc.  You can homsechool inexpensively using the internet and library books, so that may ease your hubby's mind, if he's financially inclined as mine is.  (first question regarding anything is, how much will it cost?!)  there are some autism-homeschool support sites out there - check them out, too.

by Welcome Squad on Apr. 26, 2011 at 1:12 AM

As a way of life we like to be cut costs. we were going to order a curriculum but found we can get a complete set of both teacher and student textbooks to use for reference and then use the internet and library for the rest when it comes to main subjects so that we can invest in things like piano class and stuff for hobbies and life skills teaching. We want our kids to be able to learn to do things so that they can one day be independent. With that comes teaching from young the things I learned as a child such as sewing and housekeeping, basic fianacial mathmatics and gardening. We also want to encourage thier love of music and foreign launguages due to these are things that will pay off for them in the future in both educational and career settings. Even though I was a "differnt" learner as a child I was taught that a well rounded education and love for learning were the greatest gifts you can give your children growing up. Even as an adult I LOVE learning and want to them to enjoy learning too.

by Welcome Squad on May. 2, 2011 at 4:11 PM

My DH was reluctant at first because of the socialization issue, so slowly, as I gathered information on homeschool, I told DH what I was finding out. I told him all about how she will have more time for activiites and how she can count her activities as school hours so that she will have more time to be a kid. I told him about co-ops and other social opportunities. Basically, gather your information and give it to him, just in casual conversation. Maybe over time he will accept it. 

I am an attachment parenting, co-bathing, sometimes co-sleeping, kiss on the lips, soon to be homeschooling, strong believer in early intervention, lead by example, know my place as a woman, go to church, get involved, teenage stay at home kind of Mom who is married to the man of my dreams and has one Super Cool Toddler and one Little Angel In Heaven.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)