Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sonlight Curriculum

Posted by on May. 15, 2011 at 7:19 PM
  • 17 Replies
  • 1329 Total Views

I have been doing my research believe me, I am starting homeschooling this coming fall for my K and Pre K boys. So far my favorite is Sonlight (or is it sonlite) it seems amazing. I have been doing research on the advantages of it and I think this is the one for me. But, well, I am the kinda girl who researches things TO DEATH before making a purchase. Has anyone tried it? Tips or put downs for me? Thanks ladies, your the best!

Shannon

by on May. 15, 2011 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanut06
by on May. 15, 2011 at 7:45 PM

If you've read their Reasons to and Reasons NOT to use Sonlight, I've heard many users say it's accurate (from both ways).  I know about the research thing; I have a 14 page spreadsheet of possible resources and my oldest at home will be 3 in August!

homeschool 

Happy momma and natural birth, homeschooling, and ERF advocate!
slmolter
by Welcome Squad on May. 15, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Yea i got the catalog and the reasons NOT to homeschool did not match our lifestyle. They were all reasons why I would choose the program that others didnt. I really like that its not computer based and you can order materials for more than one child and its not much more. Where as, other curriculum its 600 bucks for one kid, 500 for another from the same age group. Know what I mean?

Danielle163
by on May. 16, 2011 at 12:27 AM

I'm very interested in what everyone says also. I'm leaning toward using it for DD's third grade year. I will be getting just the core (am. history & the geography). In fact I think I am going to buy the IG and then buy the books on Amazon.

KaiCosmom
by Helping Hands on May. 16, 2011 at 10:25 AM

I used Sonlight last year with my 1st grader and LOVE it. I had bought it for my then 5th grader but she hates to read so I sold it. My little one loves to be read to and he likes to read so it worked out very well for us. It is a LOT of reading just so you are prepared. That was fine with us though. We read the read-alouds in the evenings, together, as a family. This year I decided that my older child needed more literature so I did buy the 6th grade core G for her and of course 2nd grade core C for the younger. 

Last year i had the science for core 1 and it was ok. I decided to try Winterpromise for this year. It is similar to Sonlight but has more hands on activities. I will be using the animal habitats one. This can be used with both of my kids so I get to cut down on the time spent between the two which is always helpful. If you have any more specific questions about Sonlight I will be glad to help. 

Homeschooling, soccer mom of two great kids.

Kaitlinskateboarding               Codyplaying soccer

slmolter
by Welcome Squad on May. 16, 2011 at 12:59 PM

awesome. Yes I love the reading aspect of it. Then I want my children to love to read like I LOVE to read so I thought it would be a good fit for us. Glad to hear it works well for you guys in the younger ages. My son will be entering K and my youngest will be entering 4YK

lucsch
by on May. 16, 2011 at 1:00 PM

After using something else for Pre-K (K4), I used P4/5 with LA1/Readers 1 for K5 and then K with LA2/Readers 2 for my dd. We have since switched to HOD (starting her in the Beyond level).

I have no regrets using SL first. I'm glad we made the switch, though. You may want to consider using HOD before you decide on SL. HOD is a Christian program, though, which is what I wanted.

Anyway, I loved the book selections of SL for the early years. Reading classic children's literature is a great way to start schooling. There were no real activities, though. It is all reading--for mom. I don't mind reading short periods of time, but reading that much can be trying. Fortunately, my dd took to reading like a fish to water. She read the science and some of the other books in K herself.

Speaking of which, I absolutely loved the way SL teaches reading. It is systematic. The LA activities perfectly match the reading and the ETC workbooks.

slmolter
by Welcome Squad on May. 16, 2011 at 5:40 PM

what is HOD

Reebekah
by Welcome Squad on May. 16, 2011 at 7:24 PM

i have 3 boys under 6.  so far we have used sonlight p3/4, p4/5 with LA K, and we will be ordering K with readers 1 soon.  my boys LOVE to read.  sonlight instructor guides are awesome, as is their customer service.  most of it is not consumable, so i can use it over and over again will all of my kids, plus i can re-sell it after we are done if i want to.  i have done a TON of research, and i think sonlight is a great choice.  try going to the sonlight.com forums -- you will have access to the choosing sonlight thread --- you will get great advice there.

mom2queenie2004
by Cheryl on May. 16, 2011 at 8:54 PM

HOD I think is Heart of Dakota

lucsch
by on May. 17, 2011 at 6:52 AM

Yes, sorry...HOD is Heart of Dakota...www.heartofdakota.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)