Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sonlight Curriculum

Posted by   + Show Post

I have been doing my research believe me, I am starting homeschooling this coming fall for my K and Pre K boys. So far my favorite is Sonlight (or is it sonlite) it seems amazing. I have been doing research on the advantages of it and I think this is the one for me. But, well, I am the kinda girl who researches things TO DEATH before making a purchase. Has anyone tried it? Tips or put downs for me? Thanks ladies, your the best!

Shannon

by on May. 15, 2011 at 7:19 PM
Replies (11-17):
wulfbourne
by Welcome Squad on May. 17, 2011 at 7:21 AM

It would help to know what you've looked at and why you prefer sonlight to other programs. 

One similar program you might want to look at is Winter Promise.  They are similar to sonlight in that they are literature based, but WP seems to have more hands on activities.  I know my kids personally love hands on arts and crafts type things, so I'm leaning towards that for Pre/K-K using the animals and their worlds theme. 

As they get older I'm leaning towards using more of the suggestions from the book The Well Trained Mind which is a classically set up guide.  It also involves lots of reading, which I love, as well as the four year rotation idea.  I don't know if I'll follow it strictly, it will depend on the kids.

slmolter
by Welcome Squad on May. 17, 2011 at 1:00 PM

I have looked at a lot of different curriculums, I honestly cannot name them all, I would ask for a catalog, and look through those, I liked time4learning.com but I dont want all internet based activities. I have not heard of winter promise so I will look that up.

ladykyr
by Welcome Squad on May. 22, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I just purchased my daughter's ciriculum. We're doing Science through them only. Any books I could get off of Barnes and Noble I purchased through them instead of sonlight, it was less expensive and you can often find coupons. (I saved like $25...not sure if the savings was worth all the work) Now, I'm sure you can get a discount if you purchase all core subjects, since I'm not I didn't crunch the numbers.

This is our first year using it but I'm really excited!!

StefInIdaho
by Welcome Squad on Jun. 11, 2011 at 1:14 AM

We are using Sonlight... I really looked at Heart of Dakota (there wasn't enough literature for my taste) and at Winter Promise (but after the preschool level, the one year themes were TOO much for us) and I checked out the 27 reasons NOT to buy Sonlight and I think there was only 1 reason for us not to buy it, which FAR outweighed the positives!!!

In that we are not an arts and crafts/hand-on projects kind of family, Sonlight is perfect. Not to say I dislike ALL hands-on activities, but I don't care for ones that have no purpose and take up half the school day.

Because Sonlight cores are based more on emotional readiness and not academic readiness AND because from everything I have read, kids should not start Core A until they are at least 5 1/2, we are starting easy with P3/4 and adding All About Reading Pre-Level 1 as a phonics program and some math manipulatives for my older one.

Jeremmy
by on Jun. 26, 2011 at 3:40 PM

We are just finishing up the p4/5 with my 5 yo son. We love sonlight. I love reading and I want him to love reading too. So many kids hate reading nowadays (i sound like my grandmother-'you young kids'.....lol but im 25 and my peers seem to hate reading). In this past year my son has just soared with his love of learning. He is teaching himself to read some words, write some words, tell time using roman numerals.....its just opening his mind up. Its not a very difficult or time intensive curriculum for this year, but it definitely switched something on in him. We cant wait to start the K year in another week or so (im due in 4 weeks, so we are starting asap, than taking time off when the baby gets here). I love the idea of doing science projects with him. I like doing crafts, but I dont have the patience to do it with a child every single day. Sonlight is very good about making those activited optional. I loved the other curriculums that had the child and parents making huge themed meals and dressing up, acting out different time periods, ect.....but I knew realistically that I would quickly become burnt out on those particular curriculums. Sonlight has been the perfect mix of hands on (I consider the large amount of parent led reading hands on), and 'regular learning', like book work. Its expensive, which I hate, but I love that I can use it again with our daughter and any future children. For this year at least (p4/5) there are only 5 consumable books, and 1 of them was optional anyways. I also offered them to my sil, so there might be 2 families being put through homeschooling for the amount I had to pay once.

I have no clue if this is the right curriculum for you, and Im not sure if my rambling even made sense. We love sonlight though. The only downside so far is the price. I dont know whether we will continue with them or no, since I have no experience with anything beyond preschool, but we have heard wonderful things about the higher grades and cant wait to at least continue trying out each year. Gl in your searching!

pcmoseley
by Welcome Squad on Jun. 26, 2011 at 4:24 PM

I also loved sonlight but was upset that there were no planned activities to go with the curriculum.  A friend told me about winterpromise and we used it this past year.  It's like sonlight but with activities to help the curriculum really stick :)

energygirl
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I am using it now and really like it.  I taught 5th grade 10 years ago for the school system...and I love that Sonlight's lesson plans are easy to follow and do not require a lot of time on my part.  I have 3 kids (6, almost 5, and 3) and like that I can teach more than one kid at a time with Sonlight...combining them for science and history etc.  I also considered My Father's World stuff, but didn't want to have to go to the library all the time in hopes that the library loan stuff all came in at the right time.  I like owning the material, and being able to use it for all my kids.  I have priced their math options (Saxon...Horizon etc.) and it seems compatible with the amazon prices....  I did buy the first year stuff used...but the second I have bought new and am happy.  The only discounts for new stuff are for $5 off $50 (a code is KC20341518) which isn't much...but they also offer a money back guarantee on their cores if you return them after 6 month of use or less (returning the unused and used part so you can't copy it etc.)  That is what urged me to try it.  The reading is not as time consuming as I anticipated....I think the "time" factor was on their list of reasons not to homeschool....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)