Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am considering using K12 for our homeschooling curriculum.  They offer great courses adn all of the books are free. 

Do any of you use K12?

by on May. 19, 2011 at 11:31 AM
Replies (61-69):
ziff130
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 6:03 PM

If you noticed the date... that was last year. We loved K12 so much that we're doing it again this year!! :) My ds has an IEP too so having the free therapy is amazing and so helpful. I love having a teacher to guide me to help my son and I love the flexibility. True, it's not as flexible as homeschooling but I think the benefits are worth it for our family. LOVE IT!! :)

Quoting arkansasmama08:

Yep, us too. I want to hs but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to teach and how at this age. He's also special needs so having access to a special Ed teacher will be priceless!

Quoting ziff130:

We are going to give it a shot in the fall. I've heard good and bad views on it. It depends on how flexible you want to be. I am going to use it b/c it will be our first year of homeschool where it actually counts (my oldest will be in K) so I want to make sure I have that accountability. I can always take him out if we don't like it.

arkansasmama08
by Welcome Squad on Jul. 31, 2012 at 6:20 PM
Lol nope, did not even notice!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melissaoliver79
by Welcome Squad on Jul. 31, 2012 at 6:41 PM

lol speaking of k12..lol see this post is from way before I joined or even thought of homeschool.. But ah I will put my two cents in... 

Lol we are starting this Aug for my son in 3rd grade. From what I seen and heard it sounds ok. We got the books 2 weeks ago i believe and the science box was damages with the iron filling everywhere...Called them and they sent out all new boxes and told me to toss the damaged science box. Now we are wating on his computer. There is still no hardware issued yet but they keep telling me hes approved for one and to wait till 2 weeks before the start of school.. 

We did start to homeschool on our own last month and hes loving it!

college.mom
by Welcome Squad on Jul. 31, 2012 at 6:42 PM
We do and we love it. My husband has brain damage thanks to k12 he can help homeschool because it walks you through it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ann7227
by Testing the waters on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:45 PM

This will be our first year.

mamacita0624
by Testing the waters on Aug. 1, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I used K12 for K last year, and will be using it again this year.  We love it! it is hard work, which is perfect for my little lady.... last school year she completed K and 1st grade (for math, language arts, and phonics) and will be starting 1st grade for Science, history and art, and 2d grade for the others.... the program is perfect for her, but I can see how it might be too intense for some kids. My youngest is 4, i'm hoping that seeing big sis doing it now will help him accept the workload, but we'll see... is IS a FABULOUS curriculum though!

momtoBrenna
by Helping Hands on Aug. 1, 2012 at 7:55 PM
Quoting mamacita0624:

I used K12 for K last year, and will be using it again this year.  We love it! it is hard work, which is perfect for my little lady.... last school year she completed K and 1st grade (for math, language arts, and phonics) and will be starting 1st grade for Science, history and art, and 2d grade for the others.... the program is perfect for her, but I can see how it might be too intense for some kids. My youngest is 4, i'm hoping that seeing big sis doing it now will help him accept the workload, but we'll see... is IS a FABULOUS curriculum though!

We loved the curriculum overall but it wasn't at the right level for dd. She would have been a 1st grader in 4th grade math, 3rd grade la, 2nd grade science, history and art next year if we had stayed with OHVA the K12 school that we used. We're going the eclectic homeschooling route this year and may return to K12 in a couple of years. We especially loved the History and the art. She hated the math though because it's a spiral curriculum. We're going with a combo of completecurriculum.com and Singapore Math this year.
pinkiebabii
by Testing the waters on Sep. 15, 2012 at 3:02 AM
I was using K12 the beginning of the school year for high school. I did not like it. It wasn't self paced enough for me and it just wasn't what I was looking for but it may work for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TinasTribe
by Helping Hands on Sep. 19, 2012 at 7:25 AM

I have noticed people have said you must complete all the work assigned when using the Free State program with K12 but we did Connections Academy a few years ago and I would let the kids skip assignments all the time and it was a Free program. If I felt it was just busy work or I knew my son would not be interested in the assignment (work book stuff) I would let him skip it. They were fine with that.  There were certain things he had to complete but not everything. He also had to take a brief test at the end of a lesson, like 5-10 questions just to show he had mastered an area so he could move on. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)