Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

K12 - Do you use it?

Posted by on May. 19, 2011 at 11:31 AM
  • 69 Replies
  • 5099 Total Views

I am considering using K12 for our homeschooling curriculum.  They offer great courses adn all of the books are free. 

Do any of you use K12?

by on May. 19, 2011 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ziff130
by on May. 19, 2011 at 12:28 PM
2 moms liked this

We are going to give it a shot in the fall. I've heard good and bad views on it. It depends on how flexible you want to be. I am going to use it b/c it will be our first year of homeschool where it actually counts (my oldest will be in K) so I want to make sure I have that accountability. I can always take him out if we don't like it.

tracykelly79
by Welcome Squad on May. 19, 2011 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

We will be starting in the Fall. I have heard mixed reviews on it. I agree with ziff 130...My son will also be in Kindergarten and I think being held accountable helps. I also like the fact that the curriculm seems to be very good. If I don't like it, I am just going to continue to HS.

jen2150
by Helping Hands on May. 19, 2011 at 1:17 PM

nope.  My kids are all across the board what there needs are.  I prefer to teach on my own terms.  Also my sons are in 1st and 3rd grade and we are studying Chemistry right now because they wanted to.  I like following their interests and they are constantly changing.  Last year we ended up studying Jamestown for a month because my son wanted to know if the James River was named after James and the Giant peach.  We kind of like our tangents we go on.  I think K12 can work for some families.  All homeschooling families are different.  We are all special in our own way.

jenndun
by Welcome Squad on May. 19, 2011 at 3:43 PM

I think we are going to use it in the fall. With four kids, wahm and college I need the help. I've read all the good and bad. We will see how it goes. If we don't like it we will do something else. Glad to know I'm not the only one going to try it.

WeiMe
by on May. 20, 2011 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this

We used it for a year and a half.  I really liked a lot of the k12 curriculum. 

As another poster said, every family is different so it may work perfectly for you, or it may not.  Just keep an open mind going into it that you don't HAVE to stay with it if it's not working.

Good luck!!!!!

Danielle163
by on May. 20, 2011 at 11:06 AM

I've heard so many different things about K12. Like you can get it for totally free....but then there are the hoops to jump through/things you must comply with (?) and that you can also pay for it outright for the whole curriculum or for certain classes/subjects (?) Someone (please) correct me if I'm mistaken here because I would actually like more info on it. I checked and I don't think that we have it here in our state.

WeiMe
by on May. 20, 2011 at 4:08 PM
Some states offer k12 through a virtual school...a public/charter school. It is no direct cost to you but you have to meet the requirements of the school and state. K12 also offers the curriculum for sale to use just like any other purchsed curriculum.

Quoting Danielle163:

I've heard so many different things about K12. Like you can get it for totally free....but then there are the hoops to jump through/things you must comply with (?) and that you can also pay for it outright for the whole curriculum or for certain classes/subjects (?) Someone (please) correct me if I'm mistaken here because I would actually like more info on it. I checked and I don't think that we have it here in our state.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Danielle163
by on May. 20, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Thanks for the info WeiMe.

Cemommster
by Jenny on May. 25, 2011 at 11:20 PM

;I am debating between this or the Alpha Omega curriculum.  I am just trying to figure out what woudl be best for my ds.

DawnA72
by Guidance on May. 26, 2011 at 1:23 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Danielle163:

You can use K12 for free when you sign up with your state's virtual academy (where available).  This is public school at home.  The program is free because it receives it's funding through the same sources that the public school receives its funding.  As a result, you are required to meet all the requirements of the state, such as testing, attendance, and completing all the assigned work.

When you purchase K12 courses individually out of your own pocket, you are a homeschooler purchasing curriculum, and you have more flexibility.  You comply with your state's homeschooling laws, work at your own pace and on your own schedule.  In this scenario, the program is not restrictive, but it can be expensive. The benefit, however, is that you can elect to purchase only certain subjects through K12 and get the rest of your curricula elsewhere.  When you are invovled with the state's virtual academy, all of your courses come from K12.

You can use this page to see if there is a K12 virtual academy (online public school) available in your state. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN