Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2011 at 1:22 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 412 Total Views

Hi all,

I am new to homeschooling.  In fact, I have just sent the paperwork off to CA and am waiting to hear back.  I have a 12 year old daughter that I will be homeschooling this year in Joshua Tree, Ca.  Is there anyone out there close by?  I would love all of the tips and tricks (advice) that you have on getting started, ciriculum in CA and supplies.

Thanks for letting me join,

Robin

by on Jul. 2, 2011 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maryjane.thc420
by on Jul. 2, 2011 at 2:01 PM
I heard u couldnt homeschool in CA, thats cool u can! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rnkranch
by Testing the waters on Jul. 2, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Thanks, yes they have been homeschooling for years although I am sure the requirements are stricter than other states. I am working on it.

Thanks

bren_darlene
by Hall Monitor Bren on Jul. 2, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Home school is legal in all 50 states although many states are very strict  and stupid.  Hope more and more states get to be like TX, OK, MO, ect..  No restrictions, testing, or government intrusions :)

Quoting maryjane.thc420:

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

buzymamaof3
by Hall Monitor on Jul. 4, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Homeschooling is legal in all 50 states.  Some are just more higher regulated than others.  Mine is one of them, but it's not as bad as it sounds.

Quoting maryjane.thc420:

thMarried2MyBF.gif Married To My Best Friend image by luckylizziebeinformedvaxfree.gif Vax Free blinkie image by thirdtimecharmdteachinpjs.gif homeschool image by coldjet
ToddlerRides.gif rear facing image by awntkmessblinkie_AP_cosleepingmommy.gif co-sleep image by Positivemomthap.gif attachment parenting image by Positivemombecoming-greener-4.gif green mama image by ecomamasays

3xMommylovex3
by Testing the waters on Jul. 19, 2011 at 12:43 PM

maine is one of the states that have no testing or you dont have to send anything in either, homeschoolers are on their own they said

WeiMe
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 1:27 PM
Good luck to you! I'm in OH and its slightly regulated....not too bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
T-Bird2
by Testing the waters on Jul. 19, 2011 at 4:32 PM

I am in Indiana and they only things the state wants you to do here is to register your children 1 time so they know how many kids are being homeschooled. The other thing is that you have to keep a record that you have homeschooled them 180 days out of the year. They can't tell me what to teach or how to teach. I was told that the only thing I will have to show if someone questions me with my teaching is the attendance records.

rnkranch
by Testing the waters on Jul. 21, 2011 at 6:19 AM

Thanks ladies for the encouragement.  From what I have read on CHN and other Homeschool sites, since I have started a Private School, the records are all they can ask me for also.  However lol I have checked to see what CA requires for academics and am going to go with the ciriculum basics, but my own choice of subjects.  I have been looking at the ciriculum and there are so many choices this year I am picking a couple of different ones, Abecka for history, Saxon for Math, MFW for Science so far and then we will see which one works for Nicole....Good luck to all!  And thanks for being "homeschool or unschool" moms you are the best!

Robin

in-awe
by Testing the waters on Aug. 7, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Hi Robin,

I'm thinking about homeschooling too in CA, I know that the school year is just around the corner.  However, I was wondering what paper work is involved.  I wasn't going to do it, but my daughter really wants to do it and I been reading up on it, and thinking that it really might be a good idea.

rnkranch
by Testing the waters on Aug. 9, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Hi in-awe,

Well, I am actually waiting to get my paperwork back.  I applied throught the state --CA Dept of Education to have a private school.  They aren't quick with the response lol.  Other than that, not sure of anything else, if you know of any let me know, k this is my first time too.

Robin

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN