• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First grade math facts

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:13 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 349 Total Views

Do they need to memorize addition and subtraction facts or just need to know how to add?  My son knows how to add them together, but does not have them memorized.  When he sees the addition problem he will use his fingers or something to count.  I'm not sure if we should do some projects/worksheets/games and things to help him memorize the facts or move on to subtraction. 

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
binkersmom
by Testing the waters on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:30 PM

I had the same problem when my son started wondering which was the best  way.  I think that it is easier when you get into the double digits for them to memorize.  Counting the problems on fingers is good but my son just got confused when big numbers were introduced.  I then started on the games and worksheets. The curriculum he is doing now is kind of neat in the sense it is very repetitive. He works with each number family then moves on.  He usually knows it by then.

rsrangel
by Helping Hands on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Quoting binkersmom:

I had the same problem when my son started wondering which was the best  way.  I think that it is easier when you get into the double digits for them to memorize.  Counting the problems on fingers is good but my son just got confused when big numbers were introduced.  I then started on the games and worksheets. The curriculum he is doing now is kind of neat in the sense it is very repetitive. He works with each number family then moves on.  He usually knows it by then.

Which math curriculum do you use?

Trasee
by Welcome Squad on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:55 PM

In my opinion, it always better for them to know the facts by just looking at them. If you move on without them really knowing them, they'll always kind of struggle. And besides, who wants to have to stop and count on their fingers with every math problem?  :)    I've always used these AUDIO MEMORY CD's to teach the facts. They work great for us!

MommaTasha1003
by Welcome Squad on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:06 PM

IMO its a personal decision... I never memorized them growing up, I memorised some naturally over time, and some even as an adult I use my fingers... My DH did memorize math facts growing up & I think he is a bit better with doing facts in his head..

We use Math-U-See which encourages it & I prefer DD does. There is a  MUS CD we have that has math fact songs, so hope that helps!!

Edit.Add: My mom grew up during a time you could not use your fingers. You had to do the math in your head & she is super quick with math..

DawnA72
by Guidance on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:53 PM

It takes years for the kids to learn to get the math facts memorized.  I would not expect a First Grader to have his addition facts memorized.  I do encourage memorizing them, but I think it's a lot to ask of a 6 year old.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Here are two ways to practice facts:

http://www.coolmath-games.com/0-math-lines/index.html

https://www.xtramath.org/home -- This has a pretest first. It's important that the child do this completely unassisted so that the correct problems can be generated for future practice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)