Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Confusing b,d and p

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 1:44 PM
  • 24 Replies
  • 2885 Total Views

My 6 year old is having the hardest time getting those letters right! Does anyone have some good ideas to help with this??

by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
carolkey74
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 12, 2011 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this
No, but if you figure something out, let me know! My son is in 5th grade, and still confuses b and d when he prints. My mom said I did that when I was little, so I'm assuming he will grow out of it.
Brandymamaof4
by Testing the waters on Sep. 12, 2011 at 3:35 PM

No, but like the above post I would like any ideas that help, my 7 year old can not keep those letter straight either.

Lynette
by Helping Hands on Sep. 12, 2011 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this

perfectly normal!  Something that will help though is learning the word bed.  And imagine a little guy laying on the word bed.  The word bed has a natural head and foot board, if the letters are not right the little guy can't lay down on it!  Here is a link for a visual aid http://practicalpages.wordpress.com/2011/01/27/b-or-d-new-posters-for-bd-reversal/

Here are 2 other ways to use the word bed http://heathernow.blogspot.com/2010/11/differentiating-between-b-d.html   and  http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/product/put+bs+and+ds+to+bed+poster.do

WeiMe
by on Sep. 12, 2011 at 4:05 PM
It's common :) Continuing to practice those letters will help. I like the bed idea - that's cute!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Freckles.
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 12, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Thanks! That is a great idea!

I wouldn't worry so much but using K12, my sons 'teacher' is acting like he is so behind on reading and this confusion is a huge part of the problem. It's frustraing.

DawnA72
by Guidance on Sep. 22, 2011 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting .Freckles.:

Thanks! That is a great idea!

I wouldn't worry so much but using K12, my sons 'teacher' is acting like he is so behind on reading and this confusion is a huge part of the problem. It's frustraing.

He's 6.  The teacher sounds like a real sweetheart <insert sarcasm here>.  It's perfectly normal at that age, as any real teacher would know, and can continue for many more years.  My children never had a problem with reading it though, just in their writing. 

The bed thing didn't work for us.  Instead I put my hands up, thumbs sticking out towards each other.  The B comes first in the alphabet, so the B is the left hand.  D comes after B, so the D is the right hand. 

Dawn - homeschooling mom to Finn (10), Brigid (9), Romeo (4), and Hercules (1+)
KrissyKC
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 23, 2011 at 6:09 AM
1 mom liked this

he's a boy... right?   A lot of boys are active learners....    Make a game out of it....   put a bunch of lower case b's, p's, and d's on the floor, or just start with two of them first....    then call out a word and have him jump on one of the letters it starts with.

you can get tricky later by throwing in some number nines and then laugh and play (if your child likes that kind of stuff) when you stump him.    I know I used to tease my kid a lil by saying, AAAAHHH!!  mommy tricked you that's a nine!!!.... then when he got it right the next time, I'd say, OH MAN!!! There's JUST not fooling you smart guy!!!!

LOL he would laugh and laugh and think he was hot stuff.... however, side note, if you have a kid that is really sensative to wrong answers, don't do the teasing part...  ONLY do the oh man, you are smarter than me! parts...

KrissyKC
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 23, 2011 at 6:16 AM

oh and I forgot my plug too, it's extremely normal.   My daughter, advanced, would write letters backwards in the second and third grade... even occasionally still does...

Another game, tape the different letters he's having trouble with in different parts of the room... then have him tape words that begin the same way on the same wall... or take small objects that start with the same letter to them.   Make a race out of it.

Another game, type a bunch of b's on the page.... make a "maze" out of d's running through the page... have him follow the maze of d's... (vice versa).... with his finger or a pencil.

another game...   think of two activities... like, jump up and yell bear for B or run to the opposite side of the room and sit by a door for D... then make two signs, b and d....   flip through them randomly, holding them up... cheer when he gets it right.

another game....   write the tricky letters on flash cards, several of each and mix them up....   flash the letter and he think of a word, (or scavenger hunt for something that begins with)... the letter you flash.

Don't play any game to frustration, only play them when fun... even if you only do each one for a minute or two a day.... his competence and confidence will build so will the length of the games.

Anryan
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 23, 2011 at 2:53 PM

My daughter is dyslexic, and had problems with those letters as well as R, C, and some numbers.  I have a huge dry erase board that she loves to write on so i would write those letters on it and let her copy them..it made a huge difference. Now she is 11 yrs old and will still have issues with some letters, as well as mixing words around, and we will still go back to the dry erase board and work there.

Another thing i noticed was with her when she got tired it seemed to get worse so we would stop and pick it up later.

Anryan

rsrangel
by Helping Hands on Sep. 23, 2011 at 3:45 PM

my son is 6 too and still confuses them occasionally but is getting better.  Normal!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)