Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is anyone else finding it hard to HS boys?

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2011 at 11:01 AM
  • 32 Replies
  • 1655 Total Views

My 9 year old has a horrible attention span(at least for school, if it's something HE wants to do, like building Legos he can concentrate) and guesses a lot on answers I think so he can just "get it over with". It's really starting to frustrate me.

Is it a boy thing, an age thing,or just us? I really need to figure out how to work with him as I am getting WAY too stressed and that leads to my yelling at him :-(

by on Sep. 27, 2011 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen2150
by Helping Hands on Sep. 27, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Yes, it is a boy thing(can be also a girl thing), an age thing, and partly just your son.  All of the above.  Find out what turns him on.  Does he like to read?  I had trouble doing Math with my boys until we tried teaching textbooks.  I think it is about experimenting and finding what works for your son.  Maybe instead of asking questions let him do the asking.  I also tell my son that there are going to be some things he may not like to do.  Writing for example, so I didn't push it too much.  We did a little each day and eventually his ability to write more increased.  We do click and spell because it works for him and he does very well with it.  Experiment doing different things until you find what works.  Hope things improve for your family soon. 

CREAMBROWN
by Welcome Squad on Sep. 27, 2011 at 3:01 PM

I think it depends on the attention span of the boy.  Right now, mine is 3.5 years old, and really easy to work with , moreso than his twin sister.  At some point, around the age of 10-12, my DH and I have discussed him homeschooling DS primarily. At that point there will be alot of life skills and biblical character building that my husband is more suited to pour into him :).

wyattsmom1108
by Testing the waters on Sep. 27, 2011 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

No it is a boy thing. My son is homeschoooled as well and I have to threaten to take things away in order for him to do his work lol

JulieBrown
by Helping Hands on Sep. 27, 2011 at 4:04 PM

My boys are easy, but my girls are almost impossible.  :\

LostTheSlipper
by Guidance on Sep. 27, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Make him little projects.  I can come up with the silliest little thing to do that's not direct bookwork or writing and DS (8) is thrilled with it.

One day he mentioned about his guess about how many Cheerios were in a box (he was watching a commercial). I typed up a sheet and bought him a box of Cheerios and the next week I incorporated that into our school day and he got to count and see how many Cheerios were actually in a box. He loved it!

Have him jump around to do review. Sometimes we review spelling with him doing jumping jacks or jumping like a frog or acting like a monkey, etc. Memory games made with index cards to review vocab or dates or other things of your choosing are well-appreciated also. Next year we are doing Civil War history in his American History. I found some blue and gray army guys I bought him, and I have no idea how I'm going to use them but I'll come up with something because I know he'll love it.

Oh, it's not all fun. He knows (and I know) he'll have to drag himself through some of the "boring" stuff but the fun stuff breaks it up or gives him something to look forward to.

oahoah
by Helping Hands on Sep. 27, 2011 at 9:01 PM

absolutely. My oldest is 7 and we are in week 4 and every single day has been a hair-pulling time when "school" starts. I also have a 4 and 2 year old but for the past couple weeks my sister has been coming over pretty regularly to keep them occupied so I can just focus on the oldest & school. He still finds excuses, drags on and complains about writing. I am trying so hard to be patient and I explain everyday when he is complaining that "it's too hard" that we are missing out on fun stuff when he won't do his work (library, visiting grandparents, etc;). sometimes this helps but I have to constantly remind him of this. I think it is a boy thing but I had hoped that he'd be outgrowing it soon. I am trying to be creative with our work. Our biggest issue is that he hates writing. His writing has suffered extremely from last year because I did let him stop writing for a while, now I am having him write something daily, even if it is just his name or a simple sentence. Some of his work I will allow him to do verbally (math) and that will immediately end the bickering.

Personally if I am getting stressed and feel my patience going out the window, I take a break, either myself or both of us.   I remind myself that it shouldn't be a stressful thing because that is what a regular school and teacher are for (adding stress) not us moms. Or at least I am trying not to be.

Good luck.

smc0178
by on Sep. 27, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Do you have my son????  My 9 yr old is the exact same way, it drives me crazy.  I am hoping that he will out grow it as he gets older.

Beautifulmom513
by on Sep. 27, 2011 at 9:32 PM

i think its a boy thing. my son is 8 yrs old. he will be 9 in november. his attention span is no more then 10 maybe 15 mins at a time. he just can't sit still and concentrate for very long. he just learned how to read tho. he really struggled with that. but now that he knows he loves to read books. i take him to the library once a week and he will pick out a good 30 books and he can read them in by the time we go the next week. he is not so good with writing. its a struggle getting him to sit down and write. he just doesn't like to do it. he does a little bit better with math and history and science. but again i have to keep each lesson at 15 mins max otherwise he starts to get figity. it makes for a longer day. but after each lesson he gets a 15 mins break to go outside and run around or to play the wii fit or something like that. or to have a snack. he is getting better tho. but ya its still such a challenge to homeschool him. have to keep changing it up with him. its a boy thing and an age thing i think.

Knightquester
by Helping Hands on Sep. 27, 2011 at 9:41 PM

I really think it's a little of that child's personality and a boy thing combo.  My son is more hyper then his sisters and has a harder time sitting still while he works.  It can be rather upsetting because he'll point to every problem on the section he's working on and answer the questions correctly, but when I ask for him to write it down he acts like the world is about to end at the shear effort of having to use his little hand muscles, lol.  My girls went through a little of this but not to this extreme of course my son is also the youngest so that too could be a cause I sometimes wonder.  In any case I'll keep on him and hopefully it'll sink in that he can't be so lazy.

estop
by on Sep. 27, 2011 at 9:43 PM

I believe it is a Boy thing I have to tell my 10 yo do your work so we can do our projects and so on. Lately he is driving me crazy I usually dont have problems with him It is the oldest I do. But this yr he is taking his sweet time with easy work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)