• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Favorite curriculum

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:30 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 581 Total Views

What is your favorite curriculm?

Is it a complete packaged program? Why do like it? 

If you use individual subjects from different books or programs what are they and why?

Math, Science, Reading, etc....

Thanks your for helping me in my search for the best curriculm.

-Veronica

http://watchmeplaynlearn.blogspot.com/

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mynameismuerte
by Amie on Nov. 9, 2011 at 9:02 PM

If I had to pick one favorite I'd say All About Spelling at this point.  It's the one piece that I don't feel like I need to alter in any way.  I absolutely love that DS is actually learning to spell and not just memorizing lists of words.  Learning the phonics on this level is also greatly improving his reading.  I can't say enough good for it.  All of that said, we're just finishing up level 1 so we have a long way to go.

bren_darlene
by Hall Monitor Bren on Nov. 10, 2011 at 9:37 AM

I use such a wide mixture of things. But if I had to choose just one "curriculum" it would be ABeka.  I have used it for 19 yrs.  I started out with all ABeka but through the years I adjusted and did some things different.  I still use a lot of their material though.  I never bought boxed sets. I just bought the book and teachers manual if I thought I needed it. 

jen2150
by Helping Hands on Nov. 10, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Spelling: wordly wise

Language:  clicknread, and Abeka

Math: teaching textbooks

History: Story of the World and our own studies

Science:  real science odyssey, noeo homeschool science and elemental science

It taken a few years to find exactly what works for our family. 

luvthesoap
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Five in a Row.

Betty in KY

cedailey
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Main- Ambleside Online

Math - MEP

Handwriting- Cursive First

Spelling- Spell to Write and Read

Science REAL Science Odyssey

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Nov. 12, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I would have to say handwritting without tears. DD has fine motor skill issues and before we were homeschooling, she almost could not write at all. after 2 months with the HWTs program, her handwriting has caught up to her grade level (2) !! :) yay!! 

RedJ
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 12, 2011 at 4:16 PM

For us it is SOS Swithched on schoolhouse.  It is a complete program however we do add to it because they do not offer sign languge..For sign language we use Signing time videos. Which we also love.

smalltownmom03
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 12, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Our favorite part of our curriculum is the Mc Guffey Readers for phonics along with the Mc Guffey speller for spelling. I think we are going to change everything else next year but we are definitely keeping those.

lucsch
by on Nov. 13, 2011 at 9:15 PM

HOD (Heart of Dakota)

It is an all-in-one.

Apologia science for Elementary.

aroling
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 14, 2011 at 12:09 PM

We have used Horizon from Alpha Omaga Publications for prek last year and kindergarten again this year.  I'm very pleased with it.  Sometime I have to mix things up by making them in to a dry earse sheet or find a hands on way to teach the lesson. 

You can either buy it in pieces or in a package.  For kindergarten they only have math, phonics/reading, and health.

For science i have two books on simple experiments. For social studies with do theme on what she into, which is police at the moment. 

Science and social studies can be done as a group with different ages.  The 3 r's need to be customized to the child. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)