Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think of k12?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:48 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 317 Total Views

Do you like/dislike?

What is the good/Bad?

What should I know before signing up?

-Veronica

http://watchmeplaynlearn.blogspot.com/

by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
jen2150
by Helping Hands on Nov. 10, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I have never tried it but I know it wouldn't work for us.  No one curriculum fits us.  We are eclectic.  I know some people like it  and some don't.  Do you have a specific philosphy that you follow?  I was never that fond of PS curriculum when I was in school.  I have recently discovered a lot of gaps and things weren't true that I was taught.

KrissyKC
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 10, 2011 at 10:12 AM

It's very very academically strong.   Great for my gifted child..   however, it's teacher intense the first few years... so takes lots of involvement from you.   

However, I noticed that friends of ours who's kids struggled with concepts really had a hard time with it.   There was just the content to go over the same way... no different way to reteach things....one lil girl I knew cried alot and hid in the toy chest to escape school.

It's also very expensive if you don't stay in a state where it's available free.   We moved for a job and didn't realize it wasn't in our new location... so we only used it for six months.

I kept the first grade phonics program and have used it with one other child... he loved it too, and he's not on the gifted level.   It has worked so well, I am hanging onto it for all of them.

blessings2all
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 10, 2011 at 3:47 PM

We love it!  This is our 8th year using it with our state's virtual academy.  I used to buy our homeschooling curriculum, but it got to be too expensive.  K12 saved us and they have a great curriculum.  My dds are in high school and have some great classes to choose from including digital arts, computer programming, web design, 3D art and modeling, and Flash animation.  They have learned so much that they can create graphics for me when I need them for my web site. 

By the way, I love your web site.  It's very sweet.

Many blessings,

Susan

www.LearningOnlineBlog.com

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Nov. 12, 2011 at 12:15 PM

This is our first year with it, with AZVA (arizona virtual academy) And we LOVE It. Ayla is autistic, she was having a lot of trouble in public school for k and 1st grade, but acedemically she was SO ADVANCED. but she wasnt getting anywhere because of the trouble she was having in a classroom. (usually she ended up under the desk shutting her eyes and plugging her ears and i was called to pick her up anyway) 

anyway, we love it, its fun, and she will never get 'behind' because it is based on mastery rather than completion. she doesnt pass to the next lesson or level until she master 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)