Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Old Fashioned or Really Smart and Useful?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2011 at 3:22 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 1537 Total Views

I have always loved the idea of the "Donna Reid" and "Leave it to Beaver" ways of life, call me weird or what you will but I have always been drawn to wanting a life style like that with a little rugged western homesteading thrown in the mix.  I am all about being at home with my kids, while i do not have any desire to clean my house or cook in a dress and pearls, i do want to have quality time with my family and to raise children that are morally sound and that have confidence in themselves to go against the grain if it conflicts with their values.  I look at the families and kids that I grew up with and at how many issue so many of them grew up to have, whether from schooling situation or by not having a parent that cared enough to be a parent, only a friend or a "cool" parent. 

I get a lot of slack espically from people in my family and some of our friends about the lifestyle we are choosing to raise our children in.  We are teaching them that it is OK to be your own person, giving them a well rounded education full of literature and art and classical history among other things needed for an education, but we at the same time are teaching them to live off the land and by the work of your hands. I am constanly ridiculed about these choices, which infuriates me to no end. 

Is there anyone else that is having these issue with being "Old Fashioned"?  I find that we are being smart by doing this.....am i so wrong?  

by on Dec. 30, 2011 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JKronrod
by Welcome Squad on Dec. 30, 2011 at 5:52 PM

I don't see anything wrong with it -- but then people think I'm a little odd, too.  :-)

dahlimamma
by Welcome Squad on Dec. 30, 2011 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Your kids, your call. Let them raise their kids their way. They don't pay your bills. As long as you have your kids best interests in the forefront, they have no room to criticize; & if they do, all the more reason to move far away from them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bren_darlene
by Hall Monitor Bren on Dec. 31, 2011 at 9:52 AM
2 moms liked this

People always made remarks about us being Amish.  They are used to use now :)   We are very conservative in that we live very "old fashioned" also.  We even wear all skirts (the girls that is lol), don't watch television (just DVD's that we approve), love living in the country, ect..  Doesn't bother us a bit what people may or may not think.  We like our life and that is what is important :)

iHay
by Welcome Squad on Dec. 31, 2011 at 10:06 AM
I don't live like you but even I get remarks about not having television, usually from the same people that are appalled that I let my son play online games, and people do call me a hick because I grow a garden. I mean really a garden?
I was raised like that, back before there was a trendy "homesteading" term and we just thought we were poor. Lol. I'm teasing. But really we didn't even have indoor plumbing or electricity and we were homeschooled. Looking back on my life and listening to other people about the way they were raise, I had an extremely happy childhood filled with people I loved, animals, we were always together and happy. I can remember my 3 teenage brothers and I falling asleep in my moms bed cause we all liked to talk and be together. Not many people can say that. And sure a lot of people said we lived backward or made fun but after listening to other eople my age, there aren't alot of people that were as happy as we were growing up.
I think a lot of our closeness stemmed from not having television and video games and all that. So I say do what you feel best for your kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmberRN120
by Testing the waters on Mar. 13, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I'm not really sure this is old fashioned?!  Perhaps ideal parenting?!  Kudos to you for going after what you feel is right!  Parents really aren't designed to be autonomous paragons of behavior that the children somehow orgnanically learn from...or alternately, ATM's and fun providers.  Loving and investing in their development in the world around them is not only a challenge, but will give them a well rounded and secure footing to head any direction they choose when the time comes.  I hope that as your children and family grow together that those around you will see the inevitable fruits of what you are doing and lay off the ridicule!  PS - they may mock you, but well rounded, well behaved, mannered, and responsible children stand out in the long run.  Hang in there!  

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Aug. 27, 2012 at 6:43 PM
We've been at this for a while now, almost a decade. But I got flack from the beginning. Heck my inlaws were really uncomfortable that I chose to nurse! (and I was alway discrete so I don't know their issue. I found it funny. I grew up the only girl in an all male house, but my family thought nursing was great. But my DH grew up the only boy in an all female house, and they were weirded by it?)

I always had this vision of how I wanted my life to be. I remember in high school, we had carear day when I was a junior. The teachers/councilors thought I was trying to be a pain because I always said I wanted to be a SAHM for my carear. They said I was insulting feminism. I'm a HUGE feminist, but the #1 tenet of feminism is the freedom of choice! This is just how I CHOOSE to live.

So when I finally had my eldest, I had no problem leaving my engineering job to be a SAHM. Even though even my family said I had waisted all those years of education. I'm not the typical SAH-Homeschool mom - I tatooed, pierced, swear, not Christian, etc. so everyone was confounded that this is the life I wanted. They can't seem to understand that even though I'm a strong, forward, independant modern woman, I want my kids to grow up with self-esteem, confidence, and the strength of character to stand up for what is right. And that all those years of education are useful with HS...lol... Most have stopped saying anything, as we've been HS'ing for almost a decade. But every once in a while someone will say something like, "so I guess you'll have to send them to real school now" or something equally idiotic, which I have no problem shooting down!
3kidz123
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 3:20 AM

lol, my mom gives me a hard time daily about cloth diapering, home schooling....and pretty much every choice I make!

I.heart.my.kids
by Testing the waters on Aug. 28, 2012 at 11:18 AM

my friends still make fun of me (in the good way) about how domesticated I have become. I was always a rugged rough and tuff tomboy who worked 50 hour a week. Now I am a cook three meals and snacks on the stove leave it to beaver lifestyle. I have googled and  researched simpler more homey ways to do things. And my friends find it hystericl. That as I am cooking dinner my kids are at the table drawing pictures hahaha. I LOVE being old fashioned with a modern twist of course. I just have to get up on the whole keeping the hosue as neat as a pin thing haha

holland0226
by Testing the waters on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I wish I could get back to basics more for my kids. We are military and for the first time we lived on base and I see how incredibly spolied my own kids and kids in our area are. I think because they have an absent parent we are more apt to spoil and over indulge our children to make up for it. I find myself doing it too, and have begun to realize that they need LESS material things and more at home, time with me. I wish we could garden but the soil here is not clean and we've been informed not to plant anything in it. We are moving to Germany and I am encouraging my husband that we should not live on base but to live in the community and  depend less on others and more on ourselves. I commend you for giving your children a stable, values based life not dependent on technology and what others think!

wowguildmomma
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

People think i am wierd all the time but the way i see it is if tomarrow all technology stopped working and people couldnt' access thier debit cards, etc that we all rely on now. Through my old fashioned skills i would have things I could barter for the things we need. I can and do make my own clothes, buy veggies, diy alot of things like bath soaps and such as well as have a good grounded knowladge in herbalism and what things can be used for medicine when needed. 

These are all skill I learned from my grandparents who went thru the depression and are skills I am passing on to my kids. These to me are very important skills to know as they could help them save money later on or at least ensure their ability to survive and take care of thier own one day. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)