Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What made you decide to homeschool?

Posted by   + Show Post

We have been homeschooling our preschooler (he's 4) and we are planning on continuing with him for kindergarten at least. We also have another child who is two. Hayden (preschooler) is doing very well and we enjoy school very much, but lately I have been having alot of self doubts such as: "why am I homeschooling" or "he would get just as good an education in public school" or "wouldn't it be easier if you just sent him to school?" I never used to have any doubts, but I think as the kindergarten enrollment date nears (this fall), I want to be double sure I am doing the right thing. I think part of it is my in laws don't think it's necessary (even though their son did very poorly in school and dropped out, and was also never diagnosed with a learning disability which he DOES have, etc). 

You know, we have had such an amazing preschool experience, and we have learned so much ( he is definitely not falling behind) I would hate to just do it for preschool only. But can I really do this? Any advise would help.

by on Jan. 7, 2012 at 2:10 PM
Replies (11-20):
junebug83
by Testing the waters on Jan. 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Yes I felt guilty too for a bit mainly bc my parents hate the idea. No they wont miss out on anything.

I HS my 2 yr old and 5 yr old. My 2 yr old is doing kindergarden type stuff Basically you can do the same stuff just level it. Go into more depth with one then the other. For example Thanksgiving: You can go over who the Pilgrams were in the level of they came over and surived the first year with the help of the Indians. With the older child you can go into why they left, what year they left, how the Indians helped them etc.

Look of Classical Conversations and see if you can join a group in your area. They have songs on you tube as well. We have a group that meets every monday all ages and it is school. They go with other kids that are HS and you can expand on what you do there at home it gives you kind of a base as well.

Quoting gratefulgal:

Thank you so much for all of your advice. Is it normal to feel guilty for NOT having them in public school?  I mean, how on EARTH can public school be better? Are they going to miss out? And how is this going to work with my 2 year old starting homeschooling ps in about a year or so? Anyone homeschool 2 grades at once? I've heard that it's easier, but how can that be?

Again, thank you so much for building me up and showing me that public school is not the "best"  or "normal" option that people like to say it is.

Amanda

KiriandWyatt
by Kiri on Jan. 8, 2012 at 6:46 PM

My husband and I felt like we didn't get the education we deserved in public school and did not want that to happen to our son. So we started looking into private schools, well needless to say we couldn't afford for him to go past elementary. My husband is the one who put it out there that I should homeschool. So I decided to research homeschooling. My son was only two around this time, so that gave me a full year to research before I decided this is what I want for him. I choose to start homeschooling him "officially" when he was three b/c I wanted the time to see if I could stick with it and see if I was good enough to really give him a education. Needless to say he is now 7.5 years old and we are doing 2nd grade and still love homeschooling. Getting the chance to talk with moms and kids who are in public school and in the same grade as my son really lets me know I made the right choice. Just b/c not only is my son at the right level (for math he is past), but also seeing how he knows how to socialize better then the public schooled kids his age, and also he doesn't know all the "grown-up" stuff some of these kids know. You would be surprised at what kids pick up from public school.

bren_darlene
by Hall Monitor Bren on Jan. 8, 2012 at 7:09 PM

My main reason at first was simply that I missed my kids!!  I loved them and loved being with them. I also HATED all the violence and immorality at school.  I began home educating 19 yrs ago the very week I heard of home education.  I yanked them out so fast and have been at it ever since.  They have all graduated now but one :)

ProudMommy05.07
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 9, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I am far from bragging here, but it may come across that way.  We started officially homeschooling when my oldest turned three and taught herself to read and she was teaching my 16 month old the shapes and colors.

Kelly860
by on Jan. 9, 2012 at 8:03 PM

OH my! I am so sorry to hear that!!! Did you do anything about it? You know i've been considering homeschooling for a few years, but I would really like to get some idea of how much it will cost. I can't seem to get a straight answer on the internet. Can anyone help me here? I hate the school my kids go to. They hate it, the bus driver hates me and my husband and so she picks on my kids. I have 4 by the way.

cedailey
by on Jan. 9, 2012 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Kelly860:

You know i've been considering homeschooling for a few years, but I would really like to get some idea of how much it will cost. I can't seem to get a straight answer on the internet. Can anyone help me here? .

That's because it's like asking how much it costs to feed a family of four.  The answer is- it depends. Do you grow your own veggies, are you vegan, eat organic or hot dogs and macaroni?

With Homeschooling you can spend thousands a year for a full boxed curriculum with company support, or you can spend under a hundred by using the library, free internet resources and making stuff yourself.  So you need to tell us what you want before we can tell you how much.  (I personally spend about $150 a year for two children)

blessings2all
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 9, 2012 at 9:33 PM

As a teacher, I saw what was happening in the public schools and I didn't want that for my children.  I didn't want the peer pressure, the bullying, the watered down curriculum, the one-size-fits-all mentality about kids and learning.  I have gifted kids and I wanted them to progress at their own rate.  I wanted them to be schooled in a friendly, safe, loving environment.  It's OK for you to be a little nervous about homeschooling.  But don't worry.  You can do it.  There are plenty of resources out there to help you.

Many blessings,

Susan

www.HomeschoolWithLove.com

ShutterBug3
by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 11:37 AM

For me it was kind of a spur of the moment decision. I hated the school my dd was attending. She was hearing horrible things from some of the kids there. The class sizes were ridiculous (30-40 kids per class) and we had a LOT of issues with a few of the teachers there. One teacher actually called her stupid in front of the class. After a very bad year last year I decided public school was no longer and option. I had enrolled her in a private Christian school. 10 days before school was to start was were informed that due to funding this school was closing. I was horrified! My best friend has been using the k-12 curriculum for 4 years now and loves it. After talking with her, my dd and my dh we decided this was the only option. I will say it was the BEST decision I we have made! I have seen my dd's confidence go up so much. She actually likes school now. To top it off on the last state benchmark test she took (in December) she scored higher then she ever has in her entire school history. We plan on sticking with this program till she graduates. It is a big commitment but absolutely worth it.

Kelly860
by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Really! That sounds great! I have four kids. I can't afford thousands, I can tell you that. I don't work and won't be able to while homeschooling. My husband has his own business, so that's our only income. But I just want my kids to get a good education, without spending a fortune. May I ask you how you do it? I am very new to this, and I know zero about all this. I really can't afford to buy things we really don't need. Just the essentials will be fine.

Saira222
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 10, 2012 at 4:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Being ahead - He could read books on his own and they were going over "this is the letter A".

Not being taught - He would learn something, but not understand how to come to a conclusion. Or they would teach little "tricks" to solve problems that are more complicated than the problem itself, and still couldn't understand where the end product comes from.

Gaps in teaching/learning - Because of class size and time restraints, they don't go back and cover things missed unless it's missed by the entire class. Check off "I taught this" and move on to the next thing.

Material taught - Sometimes false and sometimes flat out left out. I understand some parents don't want their children learning religion in school (which is fine, because that's MY JOB). But if, for example, the founding fathers came to certain conclusions because of their faith and then built a nation around those principals, then it should at least be noted. Not to mention all other kinds of altered material.

Lunch - Assigned seating and not allowed to talk? So when are they allowed to blow off steam? Or where in a Northern state (can't remember at the moment) where they're not allowed to bring their own lunch because they can't trust the parents to pack a nutritious lunch... but french fries as a vegetable is ok...

So-called peers - Even though they're not allowed to talk, they still find time to make up or simply repeat dirty song lyrics and stories, and talk about things that my husband and I wouldn't even repeat.

Teacher missing things - I have a well behaved child, but I do understand that they're not always little angels when they're away from home. But every time my he was in "trouble" in school, it always came down to some other child did something wrong, so he told the teacher. The teacher would tell him to not tattle-tale or just simply go sit back down. Eventually this other child's wrong doing would get my child in some sort of trouble, and usually with the teacher not even seeing my child do anything. And the teacher would always admit this, but not before my child is punished. And not just once, but many times a month over the past 5 years. The last straw was a girl sitting in his chair. He couldn't sit down and didn't want to get in trouble, so he told the teacher. Teacher told him to leave the other girl alone and sit in his chair. He pushed her out of the chair and got 40 points taken off of conduct for a "principal referral". He never saw the principal. Teacher told me he punched the girl in the stomach, but she didn't see it. That's what the other children said. And then claimed the other girl got in trouble, too.

The bus - see So-called peers and Teacher missing things

Terrorist drills - Look up Project Mountain Gaurdian. It hasn't come to our area yet, but I'm not waiting around. We do have drills where the primary school (k-3) goes to the intermediate school across town (4-6) in case there's a train crash nearby, in which case the entire school is locked down and nobody can get their children. And different areas are starting to have police and military show up with guns to teach kids how to react when terrorists, 2nd amendment groups, or angry homeschool groups show up with guns (what ?!?!).

Vaccinations without parent approval - It's already started in California where kids as young as 12 can be given STD vaccinations and the parents are never notified. Kids can't consent to a tanning booth or a school field trip, but they can make medical decisions without their parents? And then if there's a reaction, the parent has no clue what's going on. They might mistake it for a cold or just a rough day at school.

General - Hearing about CPS or other "officials" showing up at schools and talking to kids without the parent or, in some cases, even a teacher or principal. These are minors!

I'm sure there are more, but these are the reasons off the top of my head. I might edit later.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN