Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unschooling - making the transition

Posted by   + Show Post

I've just started unschooling my two boys, ages 9 and 13. They have been in public school up until now. I get the whole unschooling philosophy and I think it's great, but I could use some advice and perspective on making the transition. So far (two weeks) I've just been letting them do whatever they want to and not pushing any particular activity or direction.

I understand that a transition period is necessary and natural. However, I am a little concerned that they will not move out of their current mode of playing video games and watching Netflix all day. As if every day is Saturday and there is nothing they need to get done.

OK, so what advice can you offer on managing this transition so that hopefully they end up at some point actually interested in learning something some way other than via video games and TV reruns?

by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Replies (21-22):
leighp1
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:05 AM

How old is your child that does the video game programming?  My daughter is 11 and she has expressed an interest in this area.  She already does create her own websites and really enjoys it.  I just wondered if she was too young for this. I did see there are programs out there for all ages, I just wanted your expert advice.  Thanks

Quoting KickButtMama:

I'm a big supporter of child led learning. During this down time, my advice is to OBSERVE. For instance, you said one of you ds enjoys RPGS like Minecraft. Perhaps you could facilitate his interest by finding programs where he can learn to create his own game. My son loves vid games, so he has spent months toying with Alice 2.0 which is a free computer interface where he has learned to program his own game! We also got an iPad as there are ment apps that are educational w/o seeming like school. My kids usually choose a project, like the programming, and I find tons of resources for them. Then make those resources readily available.

Unlike most unschoolers, I limit game and movie time. They have unlimited access to educational shows/movies, bu regular tv programming is off from 10 am - 3pm.

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:23 AM

My son was about 9 when he began usingrograms like Alice to learn block programming. 

Quoting leighp1:

How old is your child that does the video game programming?  My daughter is 11 and she has expressed an interest in this area.  She already does create her own websites and really enjoys it.  I just wondered if she was too young for this. I did see there are programs out there for all ages, I just wanted your expert advice.  Thanks

Quoting KickButtMama:

I'm a big supporter of child led learning. During this down time, my advice is to OBSERVE. For instance, you said one of you ds enjoys RPGS like Minecraft. Perhaps you could facilitate his interest by finding programs where he can learn to create his own game. My son loves vid games, so he has spent months toying with Alice 2.0 which is a free computer interface where he has learned to program his own game! We also got an iPad as there are ment apps that are educational w/o seeming like school. My kids usually choose a project, like the programming, and I find tons of resources for them. Then make those resources readily available.

Unlike most unschoolers, I limit game and movie time. They have unlimited access to educational shows/movies, bu regular tv programming is off from 10 am - 3pm.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)