Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am new to homeschooling

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 9:26 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 808 Total Views

I would really like to meet or talk to other moms whom home school there children in order to get ideas and information how to begin home schooling my fourth grader as soon as possible.

by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Jan. 18, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Welcome.

Have you looked up the laws in your state or different ways of teach/learning?

Aleshad01
by Alesha on Jan. 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Hi & welcome!
blessings2all
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 18, 2012 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group.  4th grade was always my favorite grade. :)

Many blessings,

Susan

www.HomeschoolWithLove.com

bren_darlene
by Hall Monitor Bren on Jan. 18, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Welcome to the group and to the wonderful world of home education. I have been at it for many years now and am down to my last one :)

MRS.Latosia
by Testing the waters on Jan. 19, 2012 at 9:23 AM

yes, i got the rules and the laws. they are simple in oklahoma you can homeschool your child how you would like to. they have no rules or limited law for that.

dalm33
by Testing the waters on Jan. 20, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I am looking for the same.  I have a fourth grader that I am just now starting to homeschool and would love any and all advice.  Homeschooling in North Carolina. Thanks!

mayflower929
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 2:34 PM
What about Tx teaching laws?
starbeck96
by Becky on Oct. 16, 2012 at 2:59 PM

You said that you have looked up your state laws.

The next step would be to figure out how you want to HS.  Do you want to use a boxed curriculum or do you want to make up your own. 

For my boys we use different curriculums.  We use some Abeka and some Lifepac.  We tried Switched on Schoolhouse (which is all done on the computer) and myboys did not like it.  Next year we will probably use all Lifepac or ACE.

I recommend just doing an internet search ondifferent curriculums and also a search on what a 4th grader needs to know.

This is our first year as well and this is how I got started.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Oct. 16, 2012 at 3:39 PM

The resaon why you are pulling out a 4th grader to now homeschool would have an affect on what I recommend.

If thy ar estrugglingin math, I recommend going to with Math U See and starting with multiplication (Gamma- which is generally their 3rd grade book) and work on all the facts and skip counting to build a really strong foundation in multiplication.  If you did 1/2 the pages in the book, for review, you could do multiplication and then division (Delta) in a year- again - to reinforce the foundaation.

If not sturggling, I'd probably go onto Teaching Textbooks - it's a little on the easier side, but it's spiral, and a lot of kids like it. You can do their placement test and find out what level they would need.

Same question with Language arts... also secular? or christian...Learing language Arts through literature is all inclusive, covers reading, spelling and grammar. I've heard greatthings about it.

If they need to work on it, you might try Write source and Spelling Power. Spelling Power is nice because you pre-test at the start of the week and then they only do those words they missed. Each list is divided by word rules, or letter sounds  If they were younger (K-2nd grade) I would recommend All About Spelling.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)