Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Very happy we decided to homeschool.

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 11:29 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 665 Total Views
2 moms liked this

Hi,

I just started homeschooling in October.  I was so scared, but was more scared of leaving my daughter in PS.  She was falling behind, and with over 30 kids in her class I knew she wouldn't be able to catch back up even with helping her 2 hrs a night.  The first 3 months were a learning experience for us both.  I was trying to figure it out myself, even with the program my friends mom had given me to use.  Once I relaxed and trusted myself, homeschooling became such an amazing experience.  We use a cool website and supplement with workbooks.  I wrote her assignments each on popsicle sticks and she can work at her own pace until all the sticks are transfered to the done jar.  I had to take her back to the beginning of 4th grade because she was unsure and guessing a lot in her math.  Best thing I ever done.  She has taken ownership over her learning and volunteers to study in the evenings. Her scores now are high B's and A's.  She may be a couple months behind PS 4th graders right now, but as a whole I see her doing wonderful things.  It is going so well I decided to homeschool DS also.  (2nd grader).  I just wanted to share this because the first couple of months I was so scared that I made the wrong decision.  What if I ruin my childs future?  Now Im so sure this was the right choice.

by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Precious333
by Helping Hands on Feb. 4, 2012 at 11:32 AM
I love that popcycle idea!!! Im so happy...and maybe even a bot jealous...my dh wants our 5 yr old in kindergarten next year!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TamaraB.
by Testing the waters on Feb. 4, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Thanks Precious!  I'm glad my kids went to kindergarten to the grades they went up too.  They had fun at PS while they were there, and the school they were going to invites us to go to all the school functions.  IMO, we get the best of both worlds, LOL!!!

bren_darlene
by Hall Monitor Bren on Feb. 5, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Congratulations!!  Yes, homeschooling is an awesome lifestyle!  I have been at it 19 yrs so far and still love it :)  All but one of mine has now graduated from our homeschool and most have kids of their own that they are educating at home too.

conweis
by Helping Hands on Feb. 5, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I migth have to steal your Popsicle idea for myself :)

bttrflyvld
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 5, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Thanks for shareing your experience.  I've have a hardtime deciding to on homeschooling and have also worried about not doing it right.  It's nice to hear another family it's working out for.  I just need to find my confidence. I'm so glad to hear it's working for your daughter.  Sound like you made the right decision for her. 

coleecia
by on Feb. 5, 2012 at 1:21 PM
In order to homeschool, what do you have to do to get started ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TamaraB.
by Testing the waters on Feb. 6, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Thanks everyone.  It's great to read your comments.  Coleecia, I live in MT and I just had to write a letter of intent to the county superintendent.  They sent me a packet and I had to send my childrens attendance record because I pulled them while they were still in PS, and their immunization records.  I just have to send in their aggregate hrs that they homeschool. @Veronica.. I know the feeling.  I was so conflicted and confused while trying to decide, and the month after was scary too.  But  we're on our 5th month and I am so happy with my choice.  I'm still pretty new to it still, but once I let go of the idea that she had to keep up with what the PS was doing it became easier.  We went back and strengthened her basic math skills and now the harder math is coming easier to her.  Whatever you end up deciding will be the right desicion.  No one loves a child more than a parent(usually, it's a crazy world) and you will be weighing it out more than anyone. LOL!!!  I know because I was there.  @Conweis, go ahead.  I'm flattered you like the idea.  It works great with my daughter and my son.  They are in charge of when they want to do what lesson and they really love having that independence.    @ Bren_Darlene, Wow.  That is amazing.  I always thought, well the proof is in the pudding, but I wont see the "pudding" until they grow up.  I still can't wait to see how the homeschooling works for them in the long run, but I already see so many positive benefits of homeschooling.  They have a more relaxed way with them, where before they seemed wound up.  Do your grown children ever share with you how they felt about being homeschooled?  I'm really curious of the "childs" take of being homeschooled.  You have the most experience homeschooling I've met so far.  (: 

gingergarcia
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 6, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I say good for you mom! You have brightened your child's future in ways nobody else will ever know, you should be very proud of yourself.

Seamstress-Four
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 6, 2012 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this

congratulations on your homeschooling.

we've been homeschooling for 8 years now. homeschooling was the best thing for our daughter.

it does make a difference in the children & in the parents

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)