Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you use for Science curriculum

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:25 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 619 Total Views

First of all I'd like to ask if most people use a science curriculum for kindergarten? 

If so what was your favorite and why?  Preferable one that doesn't teach evolution.

I really want to find one that is enjoyable, simple, and interesting for a kindergartener with lots of hand on fun.   Low cost would be awsome too, but I'd like to see all the option too.

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nikkisuire
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Try currclick.com.  It is all unit studies and you can choose what you want to teach as you go! 

as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD

Jinx-Troublex3
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I don't use anything for Kinder, we just check out books from the library like home science experiments and such.

What I love that, we use now, is for 3rd - 6th grades and they are Science in A Nutshell kits. Some of the experiments are a bit repeitive but ther eare 12 in a box so you can pick and choose which ones you like. My kids are 3rd and 5th grade and it works well for them.

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

5BMom
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:06 PM
We do nature study for K and 1st.... Everything from animal tracking in the snow to growing a garden from seed to weather observation to stargazing to charting sun flares we see on the solar scope to WAY more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Helping Hands on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I'm a fan of formal science instruction (I know it's an oddity in homeschool circles, seemingly).

For kinder I would recommend Real Science 4 Kids Pre-Level.

For our 10 year old we use Ellen McHenry's books. Currently we are doing her Elements program and loving it!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

ncstress
by Helping Hands on Feb. 9, 2012 at 1:53 PM

We are using http://www.superchargedscience.com/ it uses video and lots of hands on experiments.  I have 3 boys ages 12, 8 and 4 and they all are able to do the experiments and work to varying degrees.  But they all look forward to science and finish their other work just to be able to do science.  It does cost $37 a month or $57 a month depending on your needs and wants.  This is our first year signed up for the paid program because in years past I signed up for the free newsletter and she would send out a different experiment just about every week! Aside from that she offers free teleclasses where you can either call in or watch online and actually participate too and do experiments.  If ever you need you can email or call with questions and there is always a live person to respond to you.  My kids haved learned and retained so much more with this program than when we were using Apologia.  I will say they enjoyed nature studies and the living books we used for science from the free online curriculums http://www.amblesideonline.com/ and http://www.oldfashionededucation.com/ but with those I also used experiments from a science experiment book I found at a dollar store and again it was the science experiments they loved!

bren_darlene
by Hall Monitor Bren on Feb. 9, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Never used curriculum for K.  You can find fun books to read on science subjects :)

Mommy2Phenley
by Anne on Feb. 9, 2012 at 3:36 PM

We're using Elemental Science: Exploring Science right now for pre-k. When she's 5 or 6 (depending on maturity and where we are in ES or the next one) we're going to NOEO and/or R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey. At some point I want to do some Apologia, but I think I'm going to wait until around 3rd grade level before starting that.

rsrangel
by Helping Hands on Feb. 9, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Nothing formal for K, but we use Elemental Science for my 1st grader and my K sits in on lessons occasionally anyway. 

poohbear1183
by Stephanie on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:04 AM

We talk about the weather, watch videos on youtube of weather. We read ALOT of books. And today we are starting our animal study. She picked out the animal and we are doing a lapbook from www.homeschoolshare.com and we will be reading books that have giant panda bears in them, watching videos of them on youtube or other sites. The lapbook will probably take a week to do, since we only do school when sister is napping and we don't do school on the mondays or wednesday.

TrueLifeSAHM
by Jen on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:52 AM

We use Sonlight's K Science!  It is my son's favorite subject :-)  I honestly couldn't imagine not having science in our daily curriculum... we have both learned so much from it!!  My son especially likes the end of week experiments (there is a DVD we watch and then we do it).  I usually add extra books on the topic from the library to get deeper into the theme :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)