Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking for advice on curriculum for HS a child with special needs/learning disabilities

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:03 AM
  • 24 Replies
  • 864 Total Views
1 mom liked this
Hi Moms,
I am looking for any and all advice and suggestions. My son is 8 y/o and currently in the 2nd grade. He has had an IEP since the age of 3. He has received additional help in math, reading and comprehension since Kinder. He is miserable and very unhappy at school; that is why I am seriously considering HS. He would do so much better in a one on one environment and with a different mode of teaching IMHO.
Sooooo, my ?s are: Do any of you moms teach kids at home with learning disabilities/special needs? How has it worked for you and your child? What secular curriculum can you recommend? I plan on joining home schooling groups for social and physical outlets.
Any suggestions, experiences, and recommendations are greatly appreciated!!! Thank you :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
htreveth
by Heidi on Feb. 10, 2012 at 12:39 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
htreveth
by Heidi on Feb. 10, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Anyone? :) pretty please?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Uniquecoolio
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 11, 2012 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

i wish i had some advisement for you. i hate to see no responses to your quest for help! i just very recently started homeschooling my 14 1/2 year old 8th grader who has special needs and always had an IEP. he hated school also! honestly, at this point i'm just winging it. sleuthing around the net for suggestions, ideas, etc. i put together worksheets for him, downloaded what 8th graders are learning this year in each core subject, etc. he's certainly doing well enough according to ME! i give him several 8th grade spelling words daily to look up and define, sentences, type several times, etc. He has a science workbook I bought for 8th grade, I downloaded a bunch of Civil War readings and quizzes, etc. He seems happy enough. And he's home alone doing his work because I'm a single mom. He does pretty well on his own. I check on him at lunch. One of my best resources has been Homeschooling for Dummies! it's worth the 20 bucks I paid at Barnes and noble - or online if you have time to buy used and wait a few days. honestly, If you just yank him out and START (like I did) it's probably easiest. Once the decision was made, the rest has been pretty darn easy! best to you, lynn 

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Feb. 11, 2012 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
My oldest has Aspergers, SPD and PDD. Honestly I've found that he needs a visual program, as he is a total visual learner. I have never found a program that works completely. I make my own. Pre-2nd grade we liked www.time4learning.com but after 2nd grade it changes from being a visual stimulating curriculum to being a reading based program.

I'm here for you!
JulieBrown
by Helping Hands on Feb. 11, 2012 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it would be worth finding out how your child learns best.  One of mine learns best from reading and the other through watching other people on youtube. 

We use some of the software at Super Duper.  http://www.superduperinc.com/search/topicSearch.aspx?id=56&nfp_topic=Software

KKainer
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

We have been homeschooling since 2nd grade (now in 7th).  It has been a trial by error and sometime we still make errors.  What has worked for us is putting our own curriculum together.  I have always used Math U See, and Sequential Spelling.  We used Vocabulary Cartoons and he really like that.  In the beginning we used Times Tables the Fun Way - pictures relating to the numbers and answers.  He never did well with the text book route.   Doesn't mind workbooks so much.  What we've done this last year and will do for 8th will be more reading (me doing most of the reading but he does a good amount too).  We are using a unit study curriculum right now but will switch to the Living Book Curriculum for next year.  He retains more info if the lessons come in the form of stories and then discussions follow.  While I read he usually occupies his hands with something (legos).  He still hears everything I'm saying and even comments while I'm reading and then he must re-tell what he heard afterward.  For writing we are using Imitation in Writing with Aesop's Fables.  It eases him into it.  He is behind his peers in writing but I'm not concerned.  He has to enjoy it before he can comprehend the rules and regulations of writing and with this he does.  He has made the most progress using this book.  I'm a little nervous about high school but we've made it this far and we will continue on.  He doesn't want to go to any school, public or otherwise and he does so much better with one on one so we will manage through HS as well.  Wish  you lots  of luck.  There is so much out there you'll find your way.  I didn't have a clue when I started I just knew PS wasn't the way.

Karenbig smile mini

carebear1891
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Alot of people start homeschooling just for that reason. I think it is great you are considering it. I have three boys myself. My oldest son was on an IEP aswell at the age of three. We started homeschooling after finishing the first year of the program and have been ever since. He was four and still not speaking. The administration at the school told me I was selfish for making the decision. However, he was not only speaking after six months but reading and writing aswell. We ended up making our own program after trying the canned ones. Check out (learning language arts through liturature) at common sense press for a hands on integrated approach. Its also economical!

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:11 PM
2 moms liked this
I just wanted to add this food 4 thought. Deschooling takes a bit of time, especially if he found PS at all traumatic. Do a google search 4 the HS laws in your state then pull him. You'll then have a few weeks of deschooling before you start trying different methods. The first few months are all about just getting your feet wet, finding a routine that works for u both, finding his learning style vs your teaching style. Make it a fun exploration. He won't fall behind just because you take this time. You will both be better 4 it in the long run.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Feb. 13, 2012 at 3:09 AM

I second LLATL as well. It also came highly recommended when I was looking for things for DS. 

I would use LLATL with DS but it's somewhat religious based and not covered by my charter school. I debated buying it on my own but I wouldn't be allowed to turn in work samples from it either so we went with other materials and have been happy wih them.

Quoting carebear1891:
 Check out (learning language arts through liturature) at common sense press for a hands on integrated approach. Its also economical!

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

carebear1891
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 8:37 AM

I discovered LLATL in Cathy Duffy's 100 top picks book.  It was a very helpful and informative book. And yes, it is important to know your state laws, it is one of your best defenses. I found and printed state laws off of HSLDA (homeschool legal defense association). You dont have to be a member to get your state laws.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)