Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking for advice on curriculum for HS a child with special needs/learning disabilities

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi Moms,
I am looking for any and all advice and suggestions. My son is 8 y/o and currently in the 2nd grade. He has had an IEP since the age of 3. He has received additional help in math, reading and comprehension since Kinder. He is miserable and very unhappy at school; that is why I am seriously considering HS. He would do so much better in a one on one environment and with a different mode of teaching IMHO.
Sooooo, my ?s are: Do any of you moms teach kids at home with learning disabilities/special needs? How has it worked for you and your child? What secular curriculum can you recommend? I plan on joining home schooling groups for social and physical outlets.
Any suggestions, experiences, and recommendations are greatly appreciated!!! Thank you :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 10:03 AM
Replies (21-24):
htreveth
by Heidi on Mar. 22, 2012 at 12:20 AM
Sure. Just PM me.

Quoting fobbypinay7:

would you participate in an interview?  I am a teacher who is pursuing a master's degree in education and would really love to ask you a few questions.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jucasey
by Testing the waters on Apr. 5, 2012 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

The Connected Homeschool has links to several resources for homeschooling special needs.

Good for you for taking your son's education into your own hands!

maggie13
by Testing the waters on May. 31, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Quoting baberry:

What an awesome mom you are for taking this huge step for your child's education.  Homeschooling can be a daunting decision even when your child has no LD's, so I totally understand your concerns.  Most of the advice already giving has been stellar, so I won't rehash what has already been stated.  Both my children have learning disabilities( or learns differently) and the book that helped me the most was Discover Your Child's Learning Style: Children Learn in Unique Ways - Here's the Key to Every Child's Learning Success .  Really fascinating book that basically helps you tap in to your child's preferred learning style.  I'm also a huge fan of homeschool authors Carol Barniers and Linda Dobson.

Finally, depending on what state you live in, they may offer "hybrid" homeschools. "Hybrid" homeschool are basically just public school done at home.  Some of the bigger programs were we live(CA) KI12 and Cava.  We belong to a smaller charter than the 2 mentioned yet we still get an iep and services for my children's speech and ot.  We also get to pick our childrens curriculum. Trust me there are tons of positives and negatives when it comes to charter schools, but it's been the best decision for our family.  We are also huge fans of Brain Pop Jr., MUS and apps for our ipad. Both of my children are kinesthetic and visual learners, so any curriculum that employs both those methods of learning works great for my kiddos. 

I hoped that helped and best of luck.

Was there a special things you had to do to get services for your children? My 2 year old is in services here in CA and we want to start HS but are worried that they will not help with her services if we are doing it. The guy told me that he has already set up an appointment with the school district for when she is 2 1/2 so they can transition her into a pre-school. We are not sure what to do.

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on May. 31, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this
You can read all about how we HS my Autistic Spectrum child - http://kickbuttcrazylapbooks.blogspot.com/search?q=Defining+our+HS

Need a great Latin Curriculum for grades K-7? Check out LATIN FRUCTUS!

Home Educators Toolbox / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks

Albert Einstein --
"It is, in fact nothing short a miracle that modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom."
"Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN