Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want to home school but know I do not have the education needed.... any advice?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 9:47 AM
  • 44 Replies
  • 3108 Total Views

Hi, I have a wonderful five year old daughter. She is very intelligent and often praised by others we come across for her vocabulary and knowledge. I do try to make sure she is learning. She has severe allergies and asthma, and I am afraid to send her to school. I also do not like the way public schools are set up, and am afraid that she will be jumbled in with a bunch of kids, and not learn and I am also afraid of bullying. I would give anything to be able to home school her but I fear I do not have the education to do this. I was picked on in school and found it easier to just not go, I do have my G.E.D and am now attending College but I know I don't have the education that I want her to have. Does any one have any advice on what I should do? Is it better for her to be at public school or learning from someone with out the proper education level, but that cares. We do not have private schools that aren't religious and I do not want her to go to a religous school. I would appreciate any advice in these matters. Thank you all so much in advance.

by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaHome
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 9:55 AM
7 moms liked this

You should check with your state requirements. In most states a HS diploma or equivalent is all that's required. I personally feel that the care and attention (at this age) is more important than having a master's degree.

JMO.

manders018
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 6, 2012 at 9:58 AM
5 moms liked this

Quoting MamaHome:

You should check with your state requirements. In most states a HS diploma or equivalent is all that's required. I personally feel that the care and attention (at this age) is more important than having a master's degree.

JMO.

Also what's wrong with you learning alongside your child? Just stay a step ahead of her. It is also in my opinion important to teach a child, even a young child, HOW to find reliable information on a topic.

black.eyeliner
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 11:46 AM
7 moms liked this
You will never know everything. No one will. You open the book and read from it. It guides you as the educator and the child as the student. Public school teachers in my area are told to only educate from the book. That is simple. You can do this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chillemi78
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Check your state requirements. Mine requires a high school diploma (actual attendance, not a GED) or a college degree, and I believe associates degree is acceptable. Depending on where you are in your schooling, maybe a bit of time at the priavte school would be fine until you can teach her yourself. That is, if your state isn't ok with a GED. Homeschooling isn't about having all knowledge you might possibly need from the very start, its about being an active part of your child's learning, even if that means learning some things alongside them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Mar. 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM
5 moms liked this
Many HS teachers have Zero college, so you are ahead of them already! Also, she wont be starting off with quantum physics and advanced calculous. So you should have no problem HS'ing her for several years. If, in Highschool, you feel like you are lost or overwhelmed, them you can sign her up for a co-op or online school to fill in the blanks.

I have a college degree. And still i learn something new every day by being a HS mom. I never realized the gaping holes i have in my own education. I've never been comfortable with grammar and things, so i get a book and read up before introducing a new topic to the kids.
lucsch
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 12:28 PM
2 moms liked this

I think I "liked" every post--all contain excellent advice.

If your dd is bright and intelligent with advanced vocabulary, I'm betting that YOU had a lot to do with it. See what a great job you are already doing?

I found Kindergarten a lot of fun. My dd is in 3rd grade now, but I still enjoy learning new things with her. I have a college degree in engineering; but even so, there are math and science concepts that I did not learn. Yep, even in 3rd grade. LOL

Teaching my dd to read is high on my list of my greatest accomplishments. I find homeschooling very rewarding.

And, all of that is just a bonus. I can't imagine a better environment for learning for my dd  than in our home where she is loved and respected as the unique person that she is.

fortressmom
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 7, 2012 at 5:21 PM
3 moms liked this

You don't need any higher level learning certificates to be an amazing teacher.  Who else is going to know what makes her tick, how she best learns, etc.?  As a certified teacher, let me assure you that the learning they get with their "degree" revolves around keeping a large group of kids somewhat under control and learning just enough to test well.  I want my kids to know they are more than a test score and funding for a school.  They are learning how to find information, actually enjoying learning, and getting a true education.  I am learning along side them many times as well.  Be confident in yourself as her Mother.  That's what matters:)  Good Luck and Blessings on your decision!

Danielle163
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 6:51 PM
3 moms liked this

You can do it!!-LOL My DD was removed due to bullying in first grade.  I was very  nervous about homeschooling her and thought I couldn't do it. That was two years ago. I still have "those days" when I doubt myself. But, I just tell myself that I KNOW that I can teach her at least as well as the ps. I graduated 30 years ago, never applied myself while in jr. high/high school, never went to college. Like lusch said, you've already taught her so much and you will continue to do so. You sound like a wonderful mother. Read Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year by Year (it is totally secular) and Rainbow Resource Center has everything you could ever need. I've been reading the Danica McKellar books (Math Doesn't Suck.....Kiss My Math.....Hot X:Algebra Exposed) gearing up for the upper level grades in math and have really been enjoying myself, relearning all of the stuff that I had kind of forgotten how to do. I've already told DD that we will be conquering/learning Algebra together-LOL  You will do great! Good luck to you.

firefay
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 7, 2012 at 9:55 PM
We are a homeschooling. The eldest is only 3, but we made that decision back when she was just a few months old if that. DH only has his GED, and I did not do well in college. The highest level of education I have is some college and a diploma to be a teacher's aide from Penn Foster. This does not matter, though. Even with our lack of higher education thus far, our eldest is already a great reader IMO, and she knows so much more. Right now she is learning to write her name (once did so at 28 months). So it can be done. :) I am worried about teaching my children higher math and the sciences, but I will worry about that when the time comes.
MarshaHubler
by HS Evaluator on Mar. 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Xandrea, If you're in a state that does not require a high school diploma (as PA does) for the "supervisor" of the program, then you need not worry about fulfilling that requirement. You can purchase curricula from reputable companies that offer all the lesson plans, tests, course guidelines, and books needed to provide an excellent homeschool program. Many companies and colleges such as Bob Jones Univ. and Pensacola even offer satellite courses or video programs with either online teacher helps or 800 numbers to call for help when needed with your tougher high school subjects like algebra or chemistry. The help is there for you. You just need to know where to find it.

If you're just starting out, you would surely benefit from my book, YOU'VE DECIDED TO HOMESCHOOL; NOW WHAT? I've been a homeschool consultant for over 20 years in PA. I know what you need to have an excellent and enjoyable program for the entire family. Visit http://www.marshahubler.com/

Marsha Hubler, homeschool consultant and author

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)