Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want to home school but know I do not have the education needed.... any advice?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi, I have a wonderful five year old daughter. She is very intelligent and often praised by others we come across for her vocabulary and knowledge. I do try to make sure she is learning. She has severe allergies and asthma, and I am afraid to send her to school. I also do not like the way public schools are set up, and am afraid that she will be jumbled in with a bunch of kids, and not learn and I am also afraid of bullying. I would give anything to be able to home school her but I fear I do not have the education to do this. I was picked on in school and found it easier to just not go, I do have my G.E.D and am now attending College but I know I don't have the education that I want her to have. Does any one have any advice on what I should do? Is it better for her to be at public school or learning from someone with out the proper education level, but that cares. We do not have private schools that aren't religious and I do not want her to go to a religous school. I would appreciate any advice in these matters. Thank you all so much in advance.

by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 9:47 AM
Replies (41-44):
katyq
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 26, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I cannot for the life of me remember who conducted the study, but I just read yesterday that the level of education of a hs parent has zero impact on child outcomes. :)

jen2150
by Helping Hands on Nov. 27, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Quantum physics for us came at age 9.:-) I have learned more homeschooling than 5 years of college.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Many HS teachers have Zero college, so you are ahead of them already! Also, she wont be starting off with quantum physics and advanced calculous. So you should have no problem HS'ing her for several years. If, in Highschool, you feel like you are lost or overwhelmed, them you can sign her up for a co-op or online school to fill in the blanks.

I have a college degree. And still i learn something new every day by being a HS mom. I never realized the gaping holes i have in my own education. I've never been comfortable with grammar and things, so i get a book and read up before introducing a new topic to the kids.

jen2150
by Helping Hands on Nov. 27, 2013 at 9:35 AM
If you can read, write, and attend college then you are more than qualified. You have already demonstrated all these so you are good to go. Homeschooling has way more resources than any other method of education. You got this!
YzmaRocks
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 27, 2013 at 9:36 AM
My in-laws very successfully homeschooled three children through high school and are currently homeschooling the last two right now. They have high school diplomas and a couple of college courses under their belt, that's it. It is very possible to homeschool without having a college education! They used ABeka.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)