Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Finally have it all figured out

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 3:13 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 711 Total Views
4 moms liked this

When our son was 4 we decided we would homeschool him.  I went out in search of a curriculum that would help me teach him at a preschool level. I loved the waldorf style and although we are not waldorf people I bough Oak Meadow. Well, we tried it for a few months and hated it. I then started putting together my own lessons and we started using Saxon math K (ds is advanced in math). We finished off Saxon, but knew it wasn't something we wanted to stick with.  At the beginning of kindergarten (august 2011) we started k12. After a few weeks dh got a promotion and we knew would not be in our state anymore. The state we were moving to didn't have k12 so we took him out of that program. I was allowed to keep all his books so we kept using them during the move. By Thanksgiving I knew that wasnt for us either. I then had another hs mom tell me about the curriculum she was using called Earthschooling by the berth institute. Again, why I thought waldorf would work for us I don't know. But I paid the $85 and bought the Kindergarten curriculum. Of course it wasn't what we were looking for. So in December after we got all settled in our new home I decided I was going to figure out what works for us.  I started eliminating things 1 subject at a time. The first was math. I bought the Singapore 1A books and we started it. HIT! Next I need a phonics/reading program.  I googled and read and read and read. Finally I went to our local B&N after the book How to Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Lessons. After getting there they didn't have it (although online said they did) I dediced I wasn't leaving empty handed. I left with The Ordinary Parent's Guide To Teaching Reading by Jessie Wise.  HIT! I noticed a pattern that these classical approaches were really working for us. I then needed something that our 4 yr old dd could really do right along with us. So I found a good price on FIAR and bought it. HIT! Last but not least I added a science curriculum for my science loving son. It is R.E.A.L. Science by pandia press (20% off for the month of march). HIT! I am so happy we finally know what works for us. Our days are no longer filled with I don't like this or I don't want to do this! It really does make a huge difference what will happen when you find what works for your child/children!

by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Apr. 7, 2012 at 4:47 PM
Yay! It is such a relief to find curriculum that works. I always try to tell people not to stress. The first year or so is all trial and error - trying lots of different teaching/learning styles, different curriculum, etc. the beauty of HS is that we don't have to force our kids to fit their learning into a specific box of style. Congrat's on unlocking the mystery!! Lol
simmons4africa
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Thanks for sharing your success! I will have to check out FIAR.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)