Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to cafemom/and want some input on my plans

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 3:58 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 653 Total Views

Hi I have been homeschooling several years, but new to this site. I have 3 girls, aged 14, 10, and 7.

My 5th grader will use for English: Total Language Plus titles: Shiloh, Caddie Woodlawn, and Mixed Up Files of Basil(something else can't remember what it's called) alternating with Total Language Plus. I may supplement with Reading Eggspress also.

Math: Aha! Math from Learning.com supplemented with I love Hands On Math

Science Aha! Math from Learning.com supplemented with Big Box of Science from Timberdoodle

Computer Technology : Easy Tech from Learning.com

Geography : A Child's Geography by Ann Voskamp Vol. 1 and 2

History: occasionally watch videos with older sister(listed below)

Art Appreciation: Looking at Pictures(older sister may join in too) may try to paint some like the originals or maybe in the same style

Spanish : videos I found online if anyone is curious, I will try to remember what is called

My 3rd grader is dyslexic. She will use a combo of Funnix Reading, and Reading Eggs.

Math: Aha Math also finish current math book Bob Jones 2, start I love Hands On Math

Science: Aha Science supplemented with Big Box of Science

Computer Technology from Easy Tech

Geography, History, Science and Art with sisters as listed above

Bible as listed below as family

Next year my daughter will be in 9th grade technically, but she's been a little behind, so if this does not look like 9th grade to you, just know I'm trying to get her up to speed, so to speak.

English- Total Language Plus using titles The Incredible Journey, Trumpeter of Krakow, and The Phantom Tollbooth(Focus Guide for Essay Writing) Also plan to alternate with Write with the Best

Math- Pre algebra (old text) don't remember the name and supplementing with Ko's Journey(online math game)

Science- Rainbow Science Year 1(calling it General Science Part 1 on transcript)

Spanish in 10 minutes a day

Christian Light Home Economics

Online driver's ed- any suggestions?(not required by the state, but I think it is a good idea)

Bible as a family- How to make brothers and sisters best friends half the year second half Faith Factor New Testament Devotionals with one page a day of Daily Life at the Time of Jesus. I also plan to use DK Illustrated Family Bible. I already own it.

World History and Geography I plan to use Genesis: Finding Our Roots along with Adam and His Kin the first half of the year and Student'sfriend.com the second half of the year with two weeks for each unit. This will coincide with Faith Factor New Testament Devotionals and Daily Life at the Time of Jesus.

I also plan to add more supplements to this in the form of books and videos. Rainbow Resource was awesome help in this area.

Book list :

Adventures on the Ancient Silk Road
Archimedes and the Door of Science
Cat of Bubastes
Roman Mysteries Omnibus
Otto of the Silver Hand
Christians: An Illustrated History
Mysteries Unwrapped: Lost Civilizations

Video list:

Drive thru History World History set
The Ten Commandments
Jason and the Argonauts
Ben-Hur
Camelot
Joan of Arc

The student'sfriend website has lesson plans for the videos Jason and the Argonauts, Camelot and Joan of Arc.

The website also has study guide questions that go with each section of the reading passages assigned. There are also quizzes and additional teaching ideas. There will be a essay assignment to be completed at the end of the course which is World History Part 1. There is also mapping assignments which is covering the geography portion of the lessons. If this goes well I will make a similar plan for World History Part 2 the following year.

I hope you all enjoy my ramblings.

Toni

by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
cookiemama235
by Testing the waters on Mar. 24, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Well, this may sound odd, but I am thinking of totally switching gears with my upcoming 9th grader. I am strongly considering doing American School with her instead. She gets very overwhelmed with multiple subjects a day. It could be a good thing. What do you think?

QueenPebz
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this
i did american school myself for my highschool and it was great. the classes are hard enough i learned something but the books/texts are so easy to understand. the actual accredited diploma helps too.

Quoting cookiemama235:

Well, this may sound odd, but I am thinking of totally switching gears with my upcoming 9th grader. I am strongly considering doing American School with her instead. She gets very overwhelmed with multiple subjects a day. It could be a good thing. What do you think?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cookiemama235
by Testing the waters on Apr. 29, 2012 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, thanks for the input. I can't wait to get her started!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN