Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

k-12 and like minded school ??

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 5:17 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 259 Total Views
Do any of them let you choose when you home school. Based on my schedule it would be best to home school my son Tues-Sat instead of Mon-Fri.

I sort of want a k-12 program or another one, cause its cheaper, and one of the schools I looked at looked like it had some good perks but as I said Monday are really bad for me. Even if I put him in normal school, though there are tons of negatives to that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 19, 2012 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
momtoBrenna
by Helping Hands on Mar. 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this
K12 allows you to school 24/7 even on breaks. As long as you get your hours in and your student(s) complete 90% of the courses to 80% proficiency or better, your student(s) move on to the next grade level. We are set to finish up our hours a month early and will have a long vacation.
tracykelly79
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 19, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Yes, we do K12 and I homeschool....We do school Wed-Sun. My DH has this schedule, so we let our weekends line up with his for our family time:-)

unicornnymph22
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM
Connections Academy is the same way, any days, any hours. As long as you get the hours in per week and the work is done. Sometimes we will do two days in one, and skip a day! Or we will do school at night and in the morning do fun stuff! I love the flexibility, and the mandatory bi-weekly teacher call is also flexible, we set a day and time that works with our schedule, and if we have anything going on we can reschedule.
snowpeasmom
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 19, 2012 at 8:07 PM
How about vacation during 'school' time but working through winter break.. we don't need two weeks in fact I try not to leave the house during spring and winter break cause i hate crowds and sometimes if the crowd is big enough have painic attacks but we do a yearly trip to disneyworld but its always off season, usually Sept or Oct. And its for 7-10 days.

And then another family trip the week before presidents day, cause my mom and dads work is really slow in Feb.

Quoting unicornnymph22:

Connections Academy is the same way, any days, any hours. As long as you get the hours in per week and the work is done. Sometimes we will do two days in one, and skip a day! Or we will do school at night and in the morning do fun stuff! I love the flexibility, and the mandatory bi-weekly teacher call is also flexible, we set a day and time that works with our schedule, and if we have anything going on we can reschedule.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
unicornnymph22
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 19, 2012 at 8:22 PM
Yep, you can 'reschedule' your vacation time as well, we did this when we attended my sister's wedding. She lives in SC and we are in PA, so it meant a weeks stay. I called the teacher and she said to mark the days we are gone with a V and then on the spring vacation days to just mark the hours done. I would call the teacher ahead to let them know first though.
The only drawback to working when the teachers are out is that they won't immediately grade the work and are not available for help.
momtoBrenna
by Helping Hands on Mar. 19, 2012 at 8:32 PM
With OHVA, you need 460 pt hours or 920 fulltime hours. You can count hours from the first day of school on including weekends and holidays. You can change your schedule as you need to. We only have quarterly phone calls with the teacher and 4 required face to face with any teacher in the school requirements.

Our teachers are also not available to you during school breaks or weekends but will get back to you ASAP. I am unsure what grade they start doing the grading the work. I do know that in the lower Elementary school, you turn in portfolio's of writing samples and such and the requirements vary by grade level.

For K, I had to have Brenna write at least 1 sentence about something and draw a picuture. She used an assignment from her 2nd grade LA course so it was 3 sentences and scanned and emailed it to her teacher. That was the only required work that had to be turned in. They do 3 benchmark tests in k-9th but they vary in that the K-2 are different tests. It depends on the school and the state. :)

Oh and pt students get 6 hrs per week and ft get 12 hours per week of supplemental time that can be counted as part of or on top of K12 hours. They include the PE time and anything that is learning and mastering a new skill. It makes things very flexible.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)