Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Super quick question

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 3:44 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 683 Total Views

Does a lapbook have to be made from a file folder? I would like to do them with the three year old for each letter of the alphabet (they seem fun, and like something he would enjoy), but at the moment I only have 3 folders. If I made them on something like cardstock, and hole punched them, and added them all in a 3 ring binder so it's one big book, would that be okay? Or would that not be considered a lapbook anymore?

by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bttrflyvld
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 28, 2012 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I've seen people make them from Paper bags from the grocery story (actually quite cute if I coud just find the link for you)  I make our lapbooks with pocket folders. I don't think it matters what you use.  It's the idea behind it that matters.   Something you can write on and paste your stuff on,  So your child can come back and look  too.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Mar. 28, 2012 at 11:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Does it matter what anyone else considers it? If it works for you and DS, and you like how it came out... call it a lapbook!

It fits on his lap still. LOL

ncstress
by Helping Hands on Mar. 29, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I've used the long construction colored paper-I get it at the dollar store and it works just fine and is easier to expand. I don't think it matter what you use because there are so many ways to make them!

tennisgal
by Helping Hands on Mar. 30, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I don't think it matters if it is still technically a lapbook or not. If it's something he would enjoy, then go for it! Use what you've got before buying more. 

tennisgal
by Helping Hands on Mar. 30, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Quoting bttrflyvld:

I've seen people make them from Paper bags from the grocery story (actually quite cute if I coud just find the link for you)  I make our lapbooks with pocket folders. I don't think it matters what you use.  It's the idea behind it that matters.   Something you can write on and paste your stuff on,  So your child can come back and look  too.

Just a side note, but I love getting the paper bags (if I didn't bring my own) and cutting them along a seam, laying them flat and letting the boys paint all over them or draw all over them. It's a nice big area for them to work on and it was FREE!

ziff130
by on Mar. 30, 2012 at 6:06 PM

That's the fun of homeschooling! You can school with whatever works. ;) Have you heard of notebooking? It's kind of the same thing but in a notebook. ;)

buzymamaof3
by Hall Monitor on Mar. 31, 2012 at 8:08 PM

I am doing an ABC lapbook with my 4 year old and we are using 12x12 inche cardstock and when we are done I will bind them together.  Whatever works!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)