Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To Die For, Fried Dough

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 7:50 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 1162 Total Views

I had to run to the bank this afternoon. We noticed there was a carnival in town. As we got out of the car at the bank the scent of fried dough permeated the air from the carnival. It made me crave some. But we couldn't afford to go to the carnival just to get a $5/per person fried dough. So I decided to play w/ dough at home...lol..

I have made it before using frozen bread dough (i use this dough for a lot of stuff, make it myself using bread recipe, after letting it raise 1x pound it down then wrap it tightly w/ saran wrap and freeze. While defrosting let it raise again for a couple of hours). 

But I don't have any dough left so had to come up w/ a sweeter recipe. Here's what I came up w/ - it was YUMMY!

1 packet yeast
3 heaping TBS sugar
2 tsp salt
2 TBS Crisco
4 cups flour
2 Eggs 
11/2 cups Warm Water

In a small bowl, place 3/4 cup warm water, 2 Tbs sugar and yeast. Set aside for about 10 min (it should be really foamy.)

In another small bowl, beat eggs

In large bowl mix flour, last Tbs sugar, salt and Crisco. Make sure it's all mixed well, with no lumps. Once the yeast is foamy, mix w/ a fork to make sure everything is dissolved. Mix egg into the wet mixture. Pour wet mixture into the dry. Kneed everything together. Slowly add rest of the warm water until you have a smooth dough ball. Add a little more flour if it ends up too sticky.

Coat your hands lightly in Crisco and smooth the ball, so it's lightly coated in the crisco (not really wet, just lightly moist). Cover bowl in saran wrap and set in warm place for 1 hour (I like to turn my oven on to 400 degrees, and set the bowl on the stove top). Once it has doubled in size, about 60 minutes, kneed it back down to a small ball. Cover and again let it raise to about double in size.

Heat oil in skillet. Oil should be about 1/2-3/4 inches deep. While oil heats, tear off about a 2 inch ball of dough. On a flat surface, gently press it out into a large circle, about 1/4 inches thick. Gently place in oil, let brown lightly on both sides.

We used Ragu Garlic, Roasted Tomato and Onion sauce and an Italian mix of cheese. For dessert we used the rest of the dough and lightly coated it in powdered sugar and cinnamon.

Ask me how you can make money sitting on your couch enjoy books with your children! It's the most amazing opportunity I've ever seen!!    Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education / The Usborne Learning Fairy

Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

by on Mar. 31, 2012 at 7:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Apr. 1, 2012 at 2:23 AM
We did an "indian fry bread" that was similar one year when I ran cub scout camp. It was a huge hit. They made it at one station then took it and let it rise and we fried it as theyb waited for their turn on the archery range. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jeremmy
by on Apr. 2, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Sounds yummy! Is butter a good sub for crisco?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)