Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to homeschooling, need help finding christian based curriculum for my 3 yr old.

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello everyone,

I was wondering what everyones thoughts were on the horizon, weaver, or sonlight curriculum??? I am just starting out and I am not sure were to start. Plus, money is an issue (when isn't it right) but I am not sure about using the free curriculim that is out there because I really do not know where to start and I want to get her started in September...Help!

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 6:40 PM
Replies (11-12):
Jeremmy
by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 3:10 PM

For a 3yo, I would just be reading fun books, coloring, having her help you cook, playing with blocks, doing fun games with number and colors...there isnt really a reason to get a formal curriculum at that young age.

I have 3 years of sonlight (p4/5, A and B) and really do like them though. The level yours would be at is the p3/4. Its just a buch of story books and fun stuff like I mentioned though. If its worth it to get something to make you feel confident in teaching, than go for it! However, you dont really need anything formal. I did their p4/5 because I felt like you when my son was 4 and 5. After that year it gave me the confidence to customize his schooling more the next year and make me feel like I could actually teach him. It was worth it for me. I wouldnt have gotten anything like that when he was younger though.

Mommy2Phenley
by Anne on Apr. 21, 2012 at 3:17 PM

We've been working through SL P3/4 this year. DD loves the stories. You can make it cheaper by finding the books used on ebay or amazon. Or you could check some out from the library. I bought it full as a core from SL because at the time, we could, so why not. Right now I'm piecing together what I can of P4/5 from ebay. Here in the next month or two I'll purchase what I haven't yet found from SL along with the IG.

I love the books used in SL and it's a lot of fun, but it's not going to feel like a "preschool curriculum". There's no schedule or phonics/counting/etc... Which is fine for a 3yo, they don't need more. But if you're wanting something more structured that actually feels like a preschool program, you'd want something else or to add to SL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN