Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does everyone use one?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:09 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 323 Total Views
I'm considering homeschooling my 6 year old dd next year. I'm doing the research now and there is a lot out there! I am brand new and know almost nothing yet. Anyway, I am wondering, does everyone buy a curriculum? Is it needed?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Jinx-Troublex3
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM
Not everyone uses curiculum. Some don't use any at all. Some use it for one subject, but not all subjects. Others like everything laid out and only buy full curriculums.

It depemds on how you want you homeschool to run.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wendythewriter
by Helping Hands on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Not everyone uses one, no. I don't. The closest I come to having a curriculum is that I have Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year by Year, and I use the guidelines in that to determine what to teach. I use my own knowledge as a starting base, printing out free materials online for them to work on or finding activities online that can reinforce the knowledge, and then build from there based on their interest. I also try to let them follow interests, too. This week we learned about snakes because they wanted to. It was only supposed to be this week, but it's going to trickle over to next week, too, because I ended up getting sick Tuesday (finally feeling better tonight) so we haven't really done much.

Personally, I wouldn't spend money on a curriculum right out of the gate. I've seen a lot of the moms in here mention changing curriculums midstride, and changing how they do things (and I've done that a few times myself in the 4 months we've been doing this), and it could be a huge waste of money if you buy one and discover it doesn't work for you. I'd start working with her with free things you find online and as you determine what's working and what isn't, use that as you look at curriculums to buy one, if you decide to buy one.

badgermom2012
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Nope.  It depends on the family and how you want to do things.  

5BMom
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 6:51 PM
I piece together different resources, using different curriculums... I don't follow any one boxed (or kit) curriculum. For example, next year my DD will use:

Oak Meadow 1 - literature, science, health, social studies, art, and music. They have math and language arts, and we will use them but supplement with:

Math: Life of Fred
Language Arts: Queens Language Lessons

and then I will add:

Spelling: Queens
Handwriting: D'Nealian

That would not work for everyone. Every homeschooler is different. I just listed it as an example.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marjparj
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:18 PM

This sounds somewhat like us...I use Rebecca Rupp's book as well and use it to determine what they "should" be learning about and I use it for resources...but we learn about what they want to learn about generally.  I would step back from the curriculum searching for a bit and just "learn" with your kids, whatever interests them at this point and see how they learn and how they need to learn :)

Wendythewriter I hope you're feeling better!!!

Quoting wendythewriter:

Not everyone uses one, no. I don't. The closest I come to having a curriculum is that I have Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year by Year, and I use the guidelines in that to determine what to teach. I use my own knowledge as a starting base, printing out free materials online for them to work on or finding activities online that can reinforce the knowledge, and then build from there based on their interest. I also try to let them follow interests, too. This week we learned about snakes because they wanted to. It was only supposed to be this week, but it's going to trickle over to next week, too, because I ended up getting sick Tuesday (finally feeling better tonight) so we haven't really done much.

Personally, I wouldn't spend money on a curriculum right out of the gate. I've seen a lot of the moms in here mention changing curriculums midstride, and changing how they do things (and I've done that a few times myself in the 4 months we've been doing this), and it could be a huge waste of money if you buy one and discover it doesn't work for you. I'd start working with her with free things you find online and as you determine what's working and what isn't, use that as you look at curriculums to buy one, if you decide to buy one.

wendythewriter
by Helping Hands on Apr. 20, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Rereading what I wrote last night (with foggy brain), I just want to clarify that I don't do a rigid "by the book" thing, either. When I use the guidelines, I try to incorporate those with their interests. Like, for my youngest, the recent guideline we worked on in math was adding and subtracting money. He loves animals, so I had him pretend he owned a pet store. He had to set prices for the pets, food, accessories, etc., and then charge me for the things I "bought", give me change from the money I gave him, and so on. For grammer, I might have them write me a short essay on something that interests them or find a passage online that talks about something they enjoy and then copy it, making deliberate errors for them to find and correct.

And I am feeling so much better today, thanks! I got a good night's sleep last night and it did wonders. lol

Quoting marjparj:

This sounds somewhat like us...I use Rebecca Rupp's book as well and use it to determine what they "should" be learning about and I use it for resources...but we learn about what they want to learn about generally.  I would step back from the curriculum searching for a bit and just "learn" with your kids, whatever interests them at this point and see how they learn and how they need to learn :)

Wendythewriter I hope you're feeling better!!!

Quoting wendythewriter:
kimbral3
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:24 PM

No, I don't use a full curriculum. There are so many resources online where you can get free lessons and worksheets. I do use a curriculum for social studies and science though. I use Abeka curriculum for those. For everything else I print off worksheets online for free and just use the resources online.

mamabens
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:38 PM

We don't buy a bulk curriculum, but we   buy things by subject. I have found that different places have things that work   for us

nikkisuire
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 20, 2012 at 1:51 PM

The first 5 yrs I did buy the full curriculums.  They were great but this year we so changed everything.  We do unit studies since I am now homeschooling 4 children.  But to each is their own.  You need to find what works for your child(ren).   My kids love it more like this (less paper work, but still learning alot, more field trips, more outdoor adventures).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)