Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feel as if my school is trying to get me to pull my son out instead of kicking him out

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm new to this website but have been reading posts for a couple days now, and see some parents in similar situations.

I am currently a teacher of grades 3-6 Language Arts and Social Studies at a VERY small, non-public, religious school.  As a teacher, my son gets to attend at a discount, which is helpful.  Last year he was in the preschool program after having half a year of preschool in a full day daycare at which I was also employed.  At the beginning of this year, he was 4 yrs and 8 mths, which as a non-public school is past the minimum of 4 y and 7 m to start Kindergarten.  For the first 2 months of this school year, I was told that his behavior was a problem.  He started with one teacher that he had had in preschool, then they changed it to two teachers (including the one he started with), then they moved the first one back to preschool and kept only the second one.  This was enough of a challenge, but then I was told that, although he was academically at the top of the class in kindergarten, his social behavior was not ready, and he was moved back to preschool because he was not 5 yet.

My son turned 5 in December, and since he's been in preschool again (now we have been learning the pre-k material for 2 and a half years), he has been declining in behaviors.  I have received complaints almost every day, and because I am just down the hall, frequently get pulled out of class by both teachers and principal to deal with it.  My husband and I formally requested all written reports on him, as he has been asked to leave school twice this year, and has already had at least 1 in school suspension that I am aware of.  And he's only 5! 

I was told that when the class was observed in the fall, there were no written reports on his behavior, although I was verbally told just last week what they supposedly said about him specifically.  I have ONLY received the report from today, written by the principal, which mentions previous behaviors.  I have seen nothing written about the days he was suspended. 

Last week when talking to the principal, who is also my direct boss, she made it clear that she cannot/will not determine if he should leave or not, but then also made comments about children like him who need a special school to deal with these behaviors. 

I should also mention that I just had him tested for adhd, and the dr. said it's purely behavioral.  We have set up a first counseling session to inquire about it, but that is not for almost another month.

I'm sorry to vent so much...but what do I do?  This is not just my son's school, it is also my job, which contributes about 1/3 to our income.  I love my students, I enjoy the other staff for the most part, and I like my son gettign the religious environment...but is it better for him to TRY to end out the year another 1.5 months, or jsut end it now?  Either way, I am HEAVILY leaning toward probably cyber schooling in the fall because then I can combine religious homeschooling with a good, free, online curriculum.

Any advice?  (Sorry for venting )

by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 5:50 PM
Replies (11-15):
Laurin283
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I have been trying to say that to administration since day one!  Today he did at least 5 pages of math from the kindergarten workbook and some other worksheets during centers, and the teacher told me she had to stop him in the end because it was time for something else.  First good day in weeks! 

jadedcynic
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I hate to say it, but maybe it is time for a new school for him. This one just doesn't seem to be a good fit for him. You don't want to hear it, but a public school may have the resources to handle his issues.

Quoting Laurin283:

I have been trying to say that to administration since day one!  Today he did at least 5 pages of math from the kindergarten workbook and some other worksheets during centers, and the teacher told me she had to stop him in the end because it was time for something else.  First good day in weeks! 

Laurin283
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 24, 2012 at 5:13 PM

That's the main reason I've been considering cyber or homeschooling.  We live in the worst school district in Pittsburgh, maybe in the county, and since we own our house, moving isn't really in the picture.  So my choices become leave him in this school, cyber/homeschool, or the terrible school district that is Wilkinsburg.  I've been looking for anyone with experience with any cyber school programs in my area.  I am hoping to start him in cyber school to get a better idea of where he is (above level in some areas, certainly, but not sure about others)- at least in the fall.

Anyone use any cyber school programs in PA/Pittsburgh?  I'm currently looking at these but need help deciding who is best at such a young age:

PA Cyber (just got an email from them telling me that all of the Kinder curriculum is self-paced, which is nice!)

K12,

PA Leadership Charter School,

PA Distance Learning,

Agora (which appears to be a K12 school?),

and PA Virtual.

buzymamaof3
by Hall Monitor on Apr. 24, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I grew up in Pittsburgh and I agree I would not use the Wilkinsburg district.  My cousin also homeschools in Pgh and uses a cyber school.  I'll text her and ask what she uses.  I know her son enjoys it.  Her son is a little bit older than yours though, however, she has an almost 5 year old that will be starting soon. 

Quoting Laurin283:

That's the main reason I've been considering cyber or homeschooling.  We live in the worst school district in Pittsburgh, maybe in the county, and since we own our house, moving isn't really in the picture.  So my choices become leave him in this school, cyber/homeschool, or the terrible school district that is Wilkinsburg.  I've been looking for anyone with experience with any cyber school programs in my area.  I am hoping to start him in cyber school to get a better idea of where he is (above level in some areas, certainly, but not sure about others)- at least in the fall.

Anyone use any cyber school programs in PA/Pittsburgh?  I'm currently looking at these but need help deciding who is best at such a young age:

PA Cyber (just got an email from them telling me that all of the Kinder curriculum is self-paced, which is nice!)

K12,

PA Leadership Charter School,

PA Distance Learning,

Agora (which appears to be a K12 school?),

and PA Virtual.

thMarried2MyBF.gif Married To My Best Friend image by luckylizziebeinformedvaxfree.gif Vax Free blinkie image by thirdtimecharmdteachinpjs.gif homeschool image by coldjet
thap.gif attachment parenting image by PositivemomTiny breast cancer awareness ribbon

Laurin283
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 24, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Thank you!  I'd appreciate it, as all the mom's I know who do cyber schooling started with the older elementary to middle school grades.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)