Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

california register? What exactly is it?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:05 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 1044 Total Views

I know you have to have so many days on a register, but is it a special note book that you have to buy to keep track of this register, like a ledger notebook or something? Or can I just keep my records in a simple notebook. Also, I am googling and trying to find out what exactly do you need to keep on the register.

If you private homeschool in CA, could you tell me if you need more than just to file the PSA and keep a register?

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Any notebook is fine as long as it is dedicated. Most of my friends get a school year calendar and track attendance on it and not generally what they do for each subject through the month. I can post a sample of what I do later or tomorrow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowpeasmom
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:25 PM
That would be helpful. My son is 5 in jun and I know this Oct I don't have to file, but I can file and I figure this will be my trail run. I know I want my own school, but I am nervous about the record keeping. How much 'work' ill have to prove, etc. It's not that I don't think my son will not learn in fact I had him tested and he already is at 1 st grade level for everything but writting skills. My fault, we have been learning everything off the computer or tablet. We need to write more. :) also where do you send these records? I'll love an example...thank you

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Any notebook is fine as long as it is dedicated. Most of my friends get a school year calendar and track attendance on it and not generally what they do for each subject through the month. I can post a sample of what I do later or tomorrow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:58 PM
You don't send then anywhere. Just file them at home in case you are ever audited. I've never known anyone to have issues unless something came up through CPS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Helping Hands on Apr. 26, 2012 at 10:34 AM

We use a Charter school that sent us this form- However, it's almost identical, minus the work sample box, to what my Independent homeschooling friends use.  They get a monthly school planner/calendar (in a spiral binding)and fill it in the same way mine is filled in here.

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

snowpeasmom
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 27, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Thank you. But what about college and stuff, do the children ever get tested in California?

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

You don't send then anywhere. Just file them at home in case you are ever audited. I've never known anyone to have issues unless something came up through CPS.

snowpeasmom
by Welcome Squad on May. 17, 2012 at 7:06 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tanya_marieh
by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Bump because I'm in CA also and and trying to figure things out for next year because DD is four in june so we need to figure it out for next year.

sreichelt26
by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:17 PM

From my understanding, no testing is required. I'm still unclear on this, but you would either issue the highschool diploma yourself, or they can take the test for their GED. As far as college, they can present a portfolio of what they've learned/done as opposed to transcripts.

I'm in CA too, so I'm trying to find out info too. We'll be unschooling, so I know it's going to be a little trickier :(

Quoting snowpeasmom:

Thank you. But what about college and stuff, do the children ever get tested in California?

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

snowpeasmom
by Welcome Squad on May. 17, 2012 at 11:16 PM

One of the reason I wanted to do my own curriculum is I am doing 1/2 unschooling. Math and Writing Skills aren't an option but science, social study, history and even reading are going to be more unschooled. I need to read more up on it but I can only home school Sun-Wed but I plan on only taking five weeks off the whole year. I am hoping that is enough days. Well, maybe on Thursday I'll leave the sitter with some online assignments that so far my son likes to do (he is in pre-k, unschooling almost completely) 

Quoting sreichelt26:

From my understanding, no testing is required. I'm still unclear on this, but you would either issue the highschool diploma yourself, or they can take the test for their GED. As far as college, they can present a portfolio of what they've learned/done as opposed to transcripts.

I'm in CA too, so I'm trying to find out info too. We'll be unschooling, so I know it's going to be a little trickier :(

Quoting snowpeasmom:

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

LostTheSlipper
by Guidance on May. 18, 2012 at 1:33 AM

My umbrella school requires 180 days of schooling. I think CA PSs require 175 days.

Quoting snowpeasmom:

One of the reason I wanted to do my own curriculum is I am doing 1/2 unschooling. Math and Writing Skills aren't an option but science, social study, history and even reading are going to be more unschooled. I need to read more up on it but I can only home school Sun-Wed but I plan on only taking five weeks off the whole year. I am hoping that is enough days. Well, maybe on Thursday I'll leave the sitter with some online assignments that so far my son likes to do (he is in pre-k, unschooling almost completely) 

Quoting sreichelt26:

Quoting snowpeasmom:

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)