Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need some curriculum help

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:29 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 445 Total Views

Ok, We started kindergarten using workbooks and library trips and halfway through went to Five in a row. For 1st grade I used Five in a row and Lesson Pathways. For 2nd grade we are using Sonlight and it's not really working for us because:

1. I have a daycare and during the 2 hour nap time we are not getting everything read and discussed and therefore are REALLY falling behind

2. she doesn't seem to be retaining as much information as I expected

3. I am skipping a lot of the bible because she already has Sunday school, Jr youth group and AWANA every week

So, I am looking for a 3rd grade curriculum that is:

-not overly full of bible studies (it doesn't have to be a christian curriculum)

-only needs about 1-2 hours of 1 on 1 time with me,

-is not all workbook, textbook or literary learning, we need a nice mix. A lot of curriculums seem to be extreme in one area :(

Anyone have any ideas?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
I am a non-vaxing, baby wearing, home schooling, sock and shoe finding, diaper changing, nose wiping, story telling, activity directing, zoo keeping, aerobics instructing, problem solving, speech therapist, peacemaker, chef, janitor, driver, tutor, performer, inventor, scientist, single mother and childcare provider. http://www.colleenslittlemonkeys.webs.com/

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
5BMom
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:50 PM
What about something online? Calvert or Oak Meadow?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ncstress
by Helping Hands on May. 1, 2012 at 2:32 PM

We do a mix of stuff, I like using www.oldfashionededucation.com.  It is a bit of reading but we get creative with the reading time.  We read at breakfast, lunch and bedtime.  We use Scott Foresman grammar -free and linked from the site, MEPs math-linked from the site, www.spellingcity.com for spelling.  For science, we use superchargedscience.com which they can do on their own-they do experiments and watch videos and read to gain information to answer their questions.  By grade 3 they are usually reading pretty well on their own and so alot of the reading can be done independently and have the child give narrations.  It works for us but maybe you need to pick and choose what works for your child so she gets the most out of her learning time with you.  Maybe try lapbooking subjects that you pre-prepare for her and use your time together for reading or math as you see best.

Crissi804
by Welcome Squad on May. 15, 2012 at 10:57 PM
Totally check out queenhomeschool.com. We are going to use that next year. I've only heard soooo many good things about it. Like how it helps homeschoolers learn to work independently mostly.... How it keeps the kids interest because it's so intreaging and helps them to eventually be very good writers & researchers. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crissi804
by Welcome Squad on May. 15, 2012 at 10:58 PM
It's also Charlotte mason like son light but not as many books.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN