Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

digrahs and diphthongs

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 673 Total Views

Needs some ideas of how I can reinfore digrahs and dipthongs for my dd whos in kindergarten.  Thanks

by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
ziff130
by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Oooh! I want to know too. My ds really HATES digraphs and thipthongs. He thinks very logically and linear. There are too many rules not followed in phonics and it is stressing him out. I hope you get some good ansewrs b/c I want some too. I am going to let him take a summer break from all his classes except phonics. Poor kid.

gratefulgal
by Welcome Squad on May. 1, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Dollar Tree has 4 posters: ending digraphs, beginning digraphs, short vowels and long vowels. My DS was freaking over the silent e/ long vowel thing, but I waited to introduce it for a couple of months until it slipped in his curriculum and he didn't mind it then. I agree with the rules-- sometimes I wonder how I ever learned to read! lol! We don't think about how much goes into reading, and if I ponder it too long I'm like, "Am I going to be able to teach this???!!" :) No wonder it takes schools 3-4 years to teach kids how to read! Phonics is definitely the way to go, though.

I will write words on the board that use the digraph and he sounds them out. When we read together (before  we were learning the digraphs) he would be sounding out and I would say, "that's 'ph". when that p and h get together they get silly and think they're f! The say ffffffff.  And I would make it silly for him. He loves it when I point out something and say Hayden! That's a whale! Look! WH! wh wh wh wh..!"

We have a really good curriculum (Horizons) and they connect the LA and Math so if there's whales in the LA, we count whales in the math, etc. BUT, my ds's strong suit is reading, so he picked it up easier than most do. Now if someone can help me with ideas for Place Value.....!

My best advice is get lots of books (especially Dr. Seuss) from the library and keep reading. And if you have to wait, wait. You want them to love to read most of all.

aroling
by Welcome Squad on May. 2, 2012 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this
We use horizon too. Love it!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)