Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Im a potential and leaning more and more into the room.

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:26 PM
  • 17 Replies
  • 481 Total Views
Hello ladies! I'm seriously considering HSing ds. Dh and I don't want to have him in PS, not only because of the poor quality of education I've seen but all the drama I hear about. I joined this group because I want a place that I can ask questions and hear from moms with experience. I have a lot of question but will be posting them all seperate in order to get a clearer answer to each one.
My first question is: how did you know HS was the right decision for you and yours?

I feel its a better choice than public for obvious reasons, but also I think ds will get so much education and actually learn instead of remember facts and transfer them into grades. I love the chance to expand schooling beyond the boundries of a PS classroom. I want that 1 on 1 with ds and really get the chance to have a say on what he learns.

Always looking for some enlightenment.
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtoBrenna
by Helping Hands on May. 1, 2012 at 10:43 PM
We decided it was the best choice for us when the gifted coordinator of the local school told me that I was delusional and that my dd would level out in 3rd grade. We did apply for a gifted charter but there is a long waiting list.
sreichelt26
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Your reasons were the same reasons I knew I wanted to homeschool, but was a little overwhelmed by the process - I HS a little myself, and I had several friends growing up who were HS. Then I researched more and heard of unschooling and liked the idea. Then I found Sandra Dodd's site for radical unschooling and it clicked. RU definitely isn't for everyone, but it fits with our parenting and lifestyle - and personal learning experiences.

outstandingLove
by Doula Cheri on May. 1, 2012 at 11:03 PM

My older son has beahvior issues and gets overstimulated easily. Because of that, homeschooling was the best choice for him.

My younger son is very bright for his age and gets bored quickly with busy work. ...and actually requested to be homeschooled.

KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on May. 2, 2012 at 7:57 AM
Huh, people ask such different questions!

Honestly, i started just trying it out, we said we'd do it for just a year....then we would do it till 1st grade. Etc. i was all for HS forever, but DH was more hesitant. But then i tarted doing school with my oldest, and DH was shocked at how much he could learn, how ahead of his peers he was academically.

So he finally agreed to HS as a long-term project. And i am immensely thankful. My oldest was diagnosed late with Aspergers, but i do not this he could have handles the stressors common in PS.
QueenPebz
by Welcome Squad on May. 2, 2012 at 8:22 AM
my sd14 moved in with us jan2011 & i was looking over her ps work & teacher comments & found out she was in remedial math. her mother never told her father. i also found she couldnt make a complete sentance herself, she would write us notes during the summer & it looked like a 2nd graders note. we got her tested neurologically because she had some memory issues & decided since the ps would put her into remedial math again not remedial all classes (they refused to hold her back) that hs was for her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bren_darlene
by Hall Monitor Bren on May. 2, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I never really wondered if it was "right" for us. I just knew I hated being away from my kids and I hated them being in that horrible environment.  The very week I learned of home education (apx 20 yrs ago) I yanked them out so fast (that very week) and have been at it ever since.  All but one of our 15 children have now graduated from our home school.  My last one at home is now 14.

wendythewriter
by Helping Hands on May. 2, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I don't know that I knew it was right for us. I just knew that what we were currently doing wasn't right for us. They were in public school, and my oldest was getting poor grades that were just getting worse (and he is so smart that I knew he could do way better), and my youngest had always gotten excellent grades which were starting to drop. They were getting bullied, more by the administration than other students. They had attitude problems that didn't happen during the summer, and I hated them being gone all day for school. Both have ADHD, as well, and my oldest son's teacher was hinting that he might need his meds upped because he wasn't paying attention (has not been an issue since I pulled him).

I just decided that other options (homeschool, private school, sitting in a tree picking lice off each other lol) couldn't possibly be worse than public school, so I decided to pull them. I waited a couple of months while I researched what I needed to legally do and kind of got my ducks in a row figuring out what and how to do it all, getting a basic idea of what I wanted to do, and then at Christmas, I pulled them.

It's definitely turned out to be the best thing. They are learning so much more than they learned at public school. In areas they were already lacking, they might still be a little bit behind, but not by much and they are actually learning it now, and that's what counts: I want them to learn, not be passed from grade to grade because it's expected.

EmilyMarshall
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:18 AM
bump

irishstarz
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:23 AM
My husband and I agreed it was best for our Son. The school system here is terrible (I know from experience) and because I'd basically been teaching my Son before We started Preschool and how much He already knew going into it..it was a no-brainer. I love teaching my Son, He loves learning, and He's so intelligent and absorbs so much, even two grades above His level. The schools here would only try to dumb Him down to accommodate the kids that aren't doing well or as far ahead, and He'd be bored as hell.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DangerousMommy
by Melissa on May. 2, 2012 at 6:47 PM

We had some friends who were homeschooling their 4 children, and after a long weekend visit watching how their family interacted, we decided that was what we wanted for our family. Said friend was a hugely helpful resource for getting us on the road with research materials. Our 2 older girls did a private pre school, but have been home with the younger 2 children since the first was 6/Kindy. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN