Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Im a potential and leaning more and more into the room.

Posted by   + Show Post
Hello ladies! I'm seriously considering HSing ds. Dh and I don't want to have him in PS, not only because of the poor quality of education I've seen but all the drama I hear about. I joined this group because I want a place that I can ask questions and hear from moms with experience. I have a lot of question but will be posting them all seperate in order to get a clearer answer to each one.
My first question is: how did you know HS was the right decision for you and yours?

I feel its a better choice than public for obvious reasons, but also I think ds will get so much education and actually learn instead of remember facts and transfer them into grades. I love the chance to expand schooling beyond the boundries of a PS classroom. I want that 1 on 1 with ds and really get the chance to have a say on what he learns.

Always looking for some enlightenment.
by on May. 1, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Replies (11-17):
smalltownmom03
by Welcome Squad on May. 2, 2012 at 9:41 PM

When my oldest was four my DH made too much money for my oldest to go to preK but we couldnt afford to send her to a private preK. So I began looking into homeschooling. I was unsure that I could teach her to read so I decieded that I would work with her for preK so that she wasnt behind when she started K. Then I would put her into PS until 3rd or 4th grade after she learned the basics in reading and math. I was sure that I could do it after she had learned to read. So I put her in PS when it was time for her to start school. After 2 years of K and 1 year of 1st she still wasnt reading much at all. She had fallen so far behind and they were passing her to 2nd grade without gettting the help that she needed to actually learn what she needed to learn. My youngest DD has Sensory Processing Dissorder and was being punished for behavior issues that she was having when she would get overwhelmed. I was told that by taking her out of the situation I was enabling her. I feel that you should NEVER punish a child for having a sensory overload. So I pulled them out and began homeschooling them. They have done very well being homeschooled. My only regret is not doing it sooner. 

hjlmama
by Welcome Squad on May. 3, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Our reason for homeschooling was. We were told that we should consider medicating him for his attention. He was no problem in class but his mind wandered. Truth was, he was bored and the teacher was trying to handle to many kids. Then, our girls asked to be brought home to study.

The sad thing was after homeschooling for awhile, I don't know why I doubted my ability. I sat one day and cried because I had bought into the system. I let them educate my children when......I know best.
doriselm
by Welcome Squad on May. 3, 2012 at 11:08 AM

That is awesome! I would have loved to have that many children!

Quoting bren_darlene:

I never really wondered if it was "right" for us. I just knew I hated being away from my kids and I hated them being in that horrible environment.  The very week I learned of home education (apx 20 yrs ago) I yanked them out so fast (that very week) and have been at it ever since.  All but one of our 15 children have now graduated from our home school.  My last one at home is now 14.

bether89
by Welcome Squad on May. 3, 2012 at 8:40 PM

We pulled our 8 year old from ps because of some difficulties in classroom with his teacher.  We will be hs next year.

LostTheSlipper
by Guidance on May. 3, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I think it was just the way God set things up (probably sounds crazy if you don't believe in that sort of thing, but seriously.)

One day, out of nowhere I was in the car with DS and he says something like, "I think I'd like to be homeschooled." He was in PS at the time(not to mention only 5 years old) and the minute that came out of his mouth the thought in my head was, "Oh my gosh, is he crazy?" So I cautiously asked him where he had even heard of it (HSing had NEVER entered my mind EVER moreorless had ever been spoken by me) and why he had said that.(It was something along the lines of he wanted it to just be me teaching him.) I think I actually tried telling him cons to HSing at that point. It totally freaked me out.

A couple of months later (probably late April, early May) DH and I went over to one of his friends house for dinner and DH asked their girls where they went to school and if it was far. I laughed because they had just said they HS and they answered, "Well not far at all." I answered him with, "They HS." At that point I'm thinking, "okay, how nice for them, that's their decision." Well, somehow the whole night turned into a HSing discussion and I was seriously excited about the possibilityby the end of the night but I was SURE that DH would never want it. On the way home I was thinking about all they had said and how I thought I could do it, but knew it wouldn't happen -  when DH brought it up and said he thought it was a great idea! I was FLOORED!

To top it all off we had been somewhat dissatisfied with how the school had been handling our concerns that DS was bored out of his mind in school because he really was quite ahead of his peers. We asked them about DS skipping a grade but they basically just blew us off, so I researched the heck out of HSing and we let DS finish off the year and never had him return. (I was able to have DS do 2 years in one our first year of HSing because he knew most of the 1st grade topics already.)

starbeck96
by Becky on May. 3, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

I think it was just the way God set things up (probably sounds crazy if you don't believe in that sort of thing, but seriously.)

One day, out of nowhere I was in the car with DS and he says something like, "I think I'd like to be homeschooled." He was in PS at the time(not to mention only 5 years old) and the minute that came out of his mouth the thought in my head was, "Oh my gosh, is he crazy?" So I cautiously asked him where he had even heard of it (HSing had NEVER entered my mind EVER moreorless had ever been spoken by me) and why he had said that.(It was something along the lines of he wanted it to just be me teaching him.) I think I actually tried telling him cons to HSing at that point. It totally freaked me out.

A couple of months later (probably late April, early May) DH and I went over to one of his friends house for dinner and DH asked their girls where they went to school and if it was far. I laughed because they had just said they HS and they answered, "Well not far at all." I answered him with, "They HS." At that point I'm thinking, "okay, how nice for them, that's their decision." Well, somehow the whole night turned into a HSing discussion and I was seriously excited about the possibilityby the end of the night but I was SURE that DH would never want it. On the way home I was thinking about all they had said and how I thought I could do it, but knew it wouldn't happen -  when DH brought it up and said he thought it was a great idea! I was FLOORED!

To top it all off we had been somewhat dissatisfied with how the school had been handling our concerns that DS was bored out of his mind in school because he really was quite ahead of his peers. We asked them about DS skipping a grade but they basically just blew us off, so I researched the heck out of HSing and we let DS finish off the year and never had him return. (I was able to have DS do 2 years in one our first year of HSing because he knew most of the 1st grade topics already.)

I wish DH was interested in HSchooling.   It would make this decision so much easier.  But, my husband is the head of our household and he gets the final say.  I am just hoping that I can persuade him.

buzymamaof3
by Hall Monitor on May. 4, 2012 at 8:20 AM
My dh and I never thought about it being right or not. We just knew in our hearts that it wasnt for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)