Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What makes you qualified?

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:02 AM
  • 16 Replies
  • 539 Total Views
I wonder if I am qualified enough to be a HS teacher for ds. I am dedicated and I completely have the desire but other than the needed certifications, does that make me qualified enough to take my sons education into my own hands?
So my question is: how can one know if they are qualified enough to truely HS their child?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PamelaStanbery
by Welcome Squad on May. 2, 2012 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

A mother is and will always be the childs 1st teacher. I'm homeschooling my 2 kids 1 with ADHD the other ADD and I finished school with alot of help and tested at a 4th grade level. You don't have to only teach using paper material you can teach almost anything using hands on learning also known as Unschooling. If you believe you can homeschool your kids then there is no stopping you.

Go for it and good luck. God Bless

Ruthzaad
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:14 AM
Thank you, I love teaching people things in general and with my kids it comes naturally. I get very creative and I believe HS is a productive way to use that creativity in educating ds.

Quoting PamelaStanbery:

A mother is and will always be the childs 1st teacher. I'm homeschooling my 2 kids 1 with ADHD the other ADD and I finished school with alot of help and tested at a 4th grade level. You don't have to only teach using paper material you can teach almost anything using hands on learning also known as Unschooling. If you believe you can homeschool your kids then there is no stopping you.

Go for it and good luck. God Bless

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on May. 2, 2012 at 11:35 AM
4 moms liked this
Are you qualified to teach your child to speak? Use the potty? Not walk into a busy street? Chances are you have no certification to qualify you to teach these important life skills, so whyshould education be different? If you have passion and drive than if you should ever come to a roadblock where you don't understand something yourself, then you can learn right along side your child - thus proving we are never too old to learn! I have college degrees and i still learn something new everyday. I know my educational weeknesses, so i read up before teaching or i find a co-op with a better qualified teacher for that subject. But i firmly believe hat having a teacher whom my children kows loves & doesn't judge them maes them free to experiment and learn freely.
QueenPebz
by Welcome Squad on May. 2, 2012 at 11:37 AM
credentials for teaching have been around for less than 100years. that came about because the government wanted a base for all citizens to become productive in making the new cities successful when the frontier was settled. instead of farmers making a community they needed doctors, lawyers, merchants, etc. so a base of education was established. prior to that all kids were homeschooled on everyday usable information. what you offer your child is the world, not a book to memorize that may never be utilized.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YzmaRocks
by Welcome Squad on May. 2, 2012 at 11:40 AM
Because I'm a mom. Honestly, I think being a parent is much harder than homeschooling. The decisions, discipline and training that it takes to parent makes teaching ABCs seem simple!

My oldest is only 4 but I was homeschooled. My mom didn't have a Bachelor's degree and yet she managed to teach us quite well. I graduated from college as a nurse, my sister has a degree in forensic science. My brother is only 17 but is very advanced in math and science. He is taking college classes already and has been for two years now. My parents were/are very involved in our education. They created their own curriculum for us and individualized it to meet our needs.

By the way, my 4 year old can read, spell, write, and understands the basics of addition, subtraction, and multiplication. He has never has any textbooks or specific curriculum, just me going at his own pace and letting him decide when he wanted to learn. For now, we will continue as unschoolers since it is working out so well. As he gets older I plan on doing the Charlotte Mason method of education.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:19 PM

My kids are all in elementary grades so that's not hard. I understand that I don't know everything and I am more than willing to seek help for things I have a hard time with. I have friends who are high school teachers who have offered help should I need it. When I get to that point, I will take them up on it.

Anryan
by Welcome Squad on May. 2, 2012 at 2:11 PM
3 moms liked this

My credentials:  I am thier mom...nuff said.

outstandingLove
by Doula Cheri on May. 2, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Teachers are mostly trained in how to teach the subject to a mass group of children. ...Sense you likely won't be teaching 20-30 + children you really don't need any certifications.

If you don't know a subject spend the time to get to know it before you teach it, if you can't or just simply struggle with it you can often find someone willing to exhange survices so that child gets the education and you do something in return. etc. or coop classes, or xyz. there are many options! Take your time looking into them all to decide what is best for you and your child.

6Fish
by Lisa on May. 2, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I've seen several studies that show that homeschooled children perform much better on tests than their public schooled counterparts, EVEN when the parents didn't graduate High School. If you are committed, you are perfectly qualified to give your child the best education they could possibly receive.

JulieBrown
by Helping Hands on May. 2, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I taught several classes in college, a couple of advanced degrees and I had 15+ years of taking care of children before my own children were born.  I tend to prefer teachers with advanced education to a teaching certificate.

Even though I have experience teaching, I honestly don't think it makes me a better home school teacher.  It makes me realize that giving a child the attention and helping them one on one is much more important than any piece of paper. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)