Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pencil holds.....

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:59 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 612 Total Views

My K'er has always picked up Language Arts very well. We've worked on penmanship and letter formation since he was 31/2. We started with Hooked on Handwriting and then Horizons Preschool, now Horizons Kinderarten. So he's been "writing" awhile and has not had any problems. I have noticed for the past two weeks or so that his grip on his pencil is slipping. His thumb is starting to shift over his index finger. We have tried different grips and always the same thing. THis is a new thing, and I called him on it today, which led to frustration and tears. He is 4 1/2, will be 5 late summer. I know not to stress over little things, but I don't want this to become a bad habit that will be much harder to break later on. We tried putting a star where the thumb goes. He always positions the grip correctly, but  we used the star as a way of reminding him to keep his thumb there. Well, after syaing "thumb goes on the star" about 26 times, we were very "done" with that. Any suggestions, or will "this too shall pass"?

Thanks,

Amanda

by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Pukalani79
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Don't let it go.  It sounds like such a little thing, but let me tell you my experience.  When my son started writing/coloring, etc he held it with two fingers wrapped around the pencil/crayon and his thumb below.  We didn't make a big deal about it and figured he would grow out of it.  After all, nobody holds their pencils like this.  Fast forward.  He's in 4th grade and still writes like that.  His handwriting is terrible and its difficult for him to make the change.  He's working on it but he has held his pencil one way for years, so its a hard habit to break.  We are going to try the pencil grips and see if that helps him because he shouldn't be able to hold it as he normally does with those on his pencils.  Good luck! Believe me, it will be easier to deal with it now than down the road!

aneela
by Neely on May. 28, 2012 at 5:33 PM

my son is 5 and has issues with the way he holds it...so im just trying to be on him about it when i can...sometimes i let it go but he is actually trying on his own when he does his work...i look over his shoulder now and then and correct him when i think he needs it...but he is still working on it and learning...good luck

oahoah
by Helping Hands on May. 28, 2012 at 11:58 PM

My 5 y/o is easily frustrated with my correction but I have found that by telling him his writing will be neater (which it is) if he holds it correctly, he'd rather hear that then hearing that he is holding it wrong. We do have pencil grips all over the house but never find them when I need them.  I like your star idea, that may work for us. Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)