Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I doing this right?

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:58 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 297 Total Views

I live in Delaware. Homeschool laws here are very relaxed. I have several workbooks, made up my own curriculum based on the varies workbook subjects. I have made up a daily schedule and my child has a work space. I feel like I am missing something. I will be teaching third grade and we will begin very soon. Because my child cannot go to school for medical reasons and needs to catch up, so we will work all summer, her health permitting. I will keep a log of the work we do eventhough I am not required to. What do you guys think? I feel like I am missing something?

by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on May. 9, 2012 at 8:09 AM
Sounds great after nearly a decade of HS i can tell you one of the most common concerns i've heard is, "but this seems too easy?" so don't worry you're not alone.

You can check out my schooling in my post - Defining Our Homeschool
http://www.cafemom.com/group/699/forums/read/16483396/Defining_Our_Homeschool_piog

Need a great Latin Curriculum for grades K-7? Check out LATIN FRUCTUS!

Home Educators Toolbox / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks

Albert Einstein --
"It is, in fact nothing short a miracle that modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom."
"Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid."

MommyMays
by Welcome Squad on May. 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM

If you feel like there is something missing, then maybe you should try to find out where it originates. Is it because the school system uses busy work and takes several more hours a day than your school or is it because you truly feel like he isn't learning? I have struggled with this too. But I can honestly tell you my 3-1/2 year old daughter knows more than her 5 year old friend who attends Public School, and we don't do anyththing to formal to begin with. As long as he is happy and he is learning, I am sure everything will be okay. Any "gaps" will be filled over time. 

gratefulgal
by Welcome Squad on May. 12, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Quoting MommyMays:

If you feel like there is something missing, then maybe you should try to find out where it originates. Is it because the school system uses busy work and takes several more hours a day than your school or is it because you truly feel like he isn't learning? I have struggled with this too. But I can honestly tell you my 3-1/2 year old daughter knows more than her 5 year old friend who attends Public School, and we don't do anyththing to formal to begin with. As long as he is happy and he is learning, I am sure everything will be okay. Any "gaps" will be filled over time. 

I agree! It is very easy to get bogged down with public schools' schedule. You think you have to fill 7 hrs just because they do (by the way only 4 of those hours are spent learning, at best.) You have to remind yourself that working one on one is much more effective than one to 30 like in public school, and you can work much quicker. That log of work, by the way, will be your best friend because whenever you feel like you haven't done enough you can flip back through and see-wow!- we do so much. We also take pictures so that when people look through our family albums they can see how much fun we have.

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN